25-06 Anybody have one?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

25-06 Anybody have one??

Looking at a deal on a new 25-06. It would be for my 10 year old boy. Was wondering if that would be too much gun. I have never shot that caliber. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 04:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: 25-06 Anybody have one??

I started with a 25-06 when I was 12 and to date that is the only deer rifle I own. There is some recoil so it might depend on the size of your son. I will be starting my boys (at 10) with a 243. Much less recoil in my opinion.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:45 AM
The Man

At ten years of age, the size of the rifle may be more of a factor than the cartridge it is chambered for. Recoil from a 25/06 should not be too brutal for the lad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 10:35 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have one and unless your kid is abnormally big at 10 years old a 25-06 is way to much recoil for him. I like the 25-06 a lot, enough to buy my son one for his first birthday but that won't be the gun he starts out with. Stick with something like a 243, 260, 7mm-08. If he starts with something too big he'll develope bad habits at an early age (flinching) and then have a real hard time breaking them. Take him to the range and have him get comfortable with a 223 and start working up from that.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

DO YOU RELOAD. IF SO, YOU CAN MAKE SOME LIGHT LOADS FOR A .2506 THAT ARE RECOIL FREE AND HOTTER THAN A 243 AND THEN WHEN HE GETS A LITTLE OLDER RUN SOME MAX LOADS. I GOT A BUDDY THAT SAYS THE .2506 IS THE MOST UNDER RATED DEER CARTRIDGE. HE SHOOTS 100 GRAIN BALLISTIC TIPS. I PERSONNALLY FEEL THAT HIS 2506 IS RECOILLESS. I SIGHTED IT IN FOR HIM OFF THE BENCH AND SHOT A DOZEN SHOTS, BECAUSE IT WAS SO NICE. I OWN ONE, I JUST DON'T SHOOT IT. OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS I HAVE ONLY HUNTED BEAR WITH A RIFLE. NOT THE LIL OTTER COULD KILL A BEAR BUT I HAVE SEVERAL SIGNIFICANTLY LARGER MAGNUMS.

THIS HOW I WACK'UM, PACK'UM AND STACK'UM.

VEGETARIANS MAKE THE BEST DINNER.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnermhr
I have one and unless your kid is abnormally big at 10 years old a 25-06 is way to much recoil for him. I like the 25-06 a lot, enough to buy my son one for his first birthday but that won't be the gun he starts out with. Stick with something like a 243, 260, 7mm-08. If he starts with something too big he'll develope bad habits at an early age (flinching) and then have a real hard time breaking them. Take him to the range and have him get comfortable with a 223 and start working up from that.

Well said.

Everyone is different, what one can shoot or tolerate may or may not be what someone else can especially where a youngster is concerned. In addition to the caliber the gun has to fit the lad.

I started my now 10 year old grandson shooting a BB gun at age 5 and as he grew moved him up to a 22, 222,223, 243, 250 and etc. I put a 243 together for his first CF rifle, its what his father and I felt he was ready for, could shoot accurately and most importantly what he enjoys shooting. As he grows he may well want something else, but we'll let him make that decision. He'll let us know when that time comes.

Bill
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

yep my 10 year old grand son is useing it I have a light load with a 100 grain speer at around 3000 fps he could put 3 shots that can be covered by a nickle

Psalms 16:1 O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
Spring Ridge La formerly from Hazleton Pa
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Sage

What most of the others have said. If the stock fits him and the load does not bother him, he'll do fine with a 25-06 for the rest of his life. One cartridge that can fill lots of "needs" if reloaded.

May even be enough of a variety of factory loads these days, for that flexibility? Don't know, haven't fired a factory round in any of my 25-06s in a very long time.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:31 PM

My advice unless you load it down is to go with a .243. I still use a .243 to this day. That is what I started with. When he gets bigger if he wants to go bigger he can. The .243 is more than adequate for deer and makes a nice varmint cartridge as well. He can practice during the summer on groundhogs.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think if the gun fits him a 25-06 would be a fine 1st deer rifle. Everything else being equal (size/weight of gun, bullet weight/velocity) recoil between a 25-06 and 243 should be about the same. You might also want to double up on hearing protection when shooting at the range. I think the muzzle blast causes more flinching than the recoil with new shooters when using these smaller calibers. I always use inside the ear plugs with muffs over the ear.

Good luck, Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page