help me choose a new gun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Banned

help me choose a new gun

im looking to get a new rifle here pretty quickly. im looking at a Marlin 1895G or 1895GBL in 45-70, i know Marlins are great because thats all ive ever shot. but im looking at 2 bolt actions too....any thought on the Remington 700 or Savage 111 in 30-06?

***the bolt guns im looking at are all open sights (my preference and whats practiacal for where i hunt). One of the 700s comes with a scope but its only in my options because it also has open sights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:11 AM
New Arrival

Re: help me choose a new gun

I have the remington 700 SPS Vermint model in .223. So far from what ive shot with it, I am very pleased, groups are very tight, but I wasnt too pleased with the stock scope. depending on what model youre looking at id go with the 700
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Boags thanks a lot. The gun ill be getting doesnt come with a scope so im not worried about that. It actually comes with open sights which is just what i need for where i hunt.
I was looking at the ADL model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:54 AM
Frequent Contributor

Both Marlins and Remingtons are good guns. I personally dont think the two calibers are comparable. What are you looking to do with your new gun? If its hunting bear exclusively, id say get the 45-70. If you are looking for a deer rifle, the 06 is your gun from the choices you listed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

my new gun wont exclusively be a bear gun, but the 45-70 will knock down BIG bears like we have been getting the past fews years very quickly and still allow me to reach out to 200 yards if i need to on a deer. but i doubt ill ever shoot past 100 or so. the 45-70 is on my list because of its power and ease of reloading.

the 30-06 is just a versatile round that is hard not to consider when buying a new gun
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 03:24 AM
Frequent Contributor

Not really sure what you are asking?? However all three would make a good choice. For open sighted hunting though I would probably stay with the Marlin. I would also consider the 1894 Marlin in the 45 Colt cartridge, or possibly the 44 magnum, however I prefer the 45 Colt.

The 1894 is a bit nicer rifle in my opinion over the 1895 rifle. I like the weight of the 1894, and I like the balance a bit better. I also like the straight style stock instead of the pistol grip design.

Also in a rifle the two revolver cartridge's are very effective on game.

Don't gwet me wrong. I really like the 45-70. But I prefer single shots in my 45-70's. For my lever action rifles I realy like the 45 Colt cartridge. It is cheap and easy to reload for. And the 255 grain bullet that I cast is more than adequate for any bear you would run into. Tom.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 10:06 AM

I have a Remington 30-06 700 ADL.I have yet to find any reason to buy something else.I have had it since 1988 or 89.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i have the 1895g in 45-70 and it is a sweet little package. it is extremely accurate and does a decent job on deer. since it sounds like you're a reloader you can beef it up some. the factory loads from rem and win are kind of light. the leverevolution is plenty for anything though. watch buying a new one though because i have heard of quality issues. you can find plenty of used ones for around 4 bills though.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

thanks pump! i know what your talking about with the newer Marlins. I had a bunch of trouble with a 308MXLR...thats why im lokoking for a new one now, i just sold th MXLR
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 07:04 PM
The Man

Thompson Center has a package for 1911.. Ventura predator hunting rifle with rings, mount, and scope and a Foxpro Spitfire Elctronic Caller.. Possibility that it comes in 308 win.. Price $599.00 for everything!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page