Frustrations of zeroing your scope on paper - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Frustrations of zeroing your scope on paper

Even after bore sighting..A person trying to hit paper can be quite frustrating. Thanks to people on here like "DENNY THE F"...Going to the 25 yard target first truly saves a lot of frustration when you first shoot a new scoped gun or adding a new scope to one of your rifles.

I often wonder???New hunters that get their rifles bored sighted in a gun shop... Do some think now they are set and don't go to the range to further zero their firearms impact point???

Another frustrating thing is when you start to move the scopes recticle Left or Right... Some people move it right when it should be left and move it left when it should be right...Your best sight in targets have the L & R designated right on the target to help you. Basically Right is Left and left is right when your looking at the sight in target.
This is one thing that does frustrate me too..Trying to sight in your rifle and there are 999 other people out there at public and club shooting ranges.. This is just how things are in life..Recently I have started to shoot my rifle in on private land that I have permission to do this on... I purchased an outstanding stable rest and it has taken this particular frustration that I HAVE away. Um still can remember the guy that stood behind the bench next to me and and started shooting a pistol...There I was 3 feet in front of him sitting at a bench and there he is blasting away...Hence my real reason I hate crowds when I am trying to do some serious zeroing of my rifles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Frustrations of zeroing your scope on paper

I don't know if Denny or who else does it this way, but after bore sighting and/or aligning the scope to the bore eyeballing it at 25 I'll fire one shot. I'll hold back on my point of aim holding the rifle still and adjust the scope to the point of impact. Move to 50, fire one shot and make another adjustment holding on the POA and adjusting to the scope to the POI if necessary then move to 100 and repeat. 99% of the time within four or five shots its zeroed at 100.

Using that target as an example if my point of aim is the circle in the center orange box and I adjust the scope to the three shots (the two high one were the clean barrel shots), the next shot should be in the center of the orange box, my aiming point. I've aligned the barrel to my line of sight.

Once you get the hang of it its easy and saves a bunch of ammo "walking" your shots or measuring and counting clicks.

Bill
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Sage

Pretty much how I've done it for many years.

Never owned a bore sighting gizmo, but with bolt guns, just clamped the scoped rifle in my "gun cradle" and took it outside. Eye ball center the bore (bolt removed) on an object about 25 yards distant, then adjust crosshairs to align with what I see thru the bore. Not all that hard to center the bore via the eye.

For many years I took the gun and cradle out the basement door and sat them on the concrete cap on my stairway wall, which was about 4' above the floor. Had my old Ford tractor parked out back, roughly 25 to 30 yards from the house, so I used one of the headlights for the bore alignment process.

Had done that dozens of times for my own rifles and those of others, for whom I had mounted a scope. Took rifle to range, set it up on the 25 yard bench and proceded to make final adjustments.

Have done that in as few as two shots, max probably about 4 or 5? Oddly enough, once mounted a scope on my 444 Marlin (no bore sighting) and when I fired it @ 25 yards, it was almost dead on. Hadda been dumb luck?

I tend to let mine dead on @ 25 yards for elevation, then move to the 100 yard bench and adjust for final elevation zero. Sometimes the windage set @ 25 will need a minor tweak for 100 yards, but it usually doesn't.

Watched a guy do that once and apparently he had cranked his elevation higher after the 25 yard zero, because he couldn't hit the paper at 100 (IIRC, a roughly 8.5x11 target from a pad?) I spotted for him, discovered that his rifle was about 6" or more high at 100 and was hitting just above the top of the target, with a dead-on center hold.

Most centerfire rifles from 223 to say, 270, will generally hit within an inch or so of center of target aim at 100, with that 25 yard "zero".

If I've mounted a scope with finger adjustable elevation turret, usually zero it at 100 and reset the turret graduations to zero.

Otherwise, depending on the rifle/cartridge, may "zero" it high at 100, with calculations for being "dead on" at say, 300 yards if a varmint rifle? One of my old 22-250s has been that way for many years and has popped a mess of woodchucks, some out beyond 400 yards.

And yes, I have seen guys leave the gun shop on the Sunday evening prior to deer season, with a new rifle and bore-sighted scope. Always wondered how that worked for 'em the next morning?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Same way i've done it since i've been shooting scoped rifles!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

I heard it was since scopes were invented.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
Watched a guy do that once and apparently he had cranked his elevation higher after the 25 yard zero, because he couldn't hit the paper at 100 (IIRC, a roughly 8.5x11 target from a pad?) I spotted for him, discovered that his rifle was about 6" or more high at 100 and was hitting just above the top of the target, with a dead-on center hold.
I was up at W-Port one Saturday. The guy I was with was getting ready to send a few down range, but the elevation on the barrel seem to be a bit much. On those guns at 1K you easily see the barrels angled upwards.

We used to make a one piece rail for our blocked rifles using Unertl scopes with either 7.2" or 14.4" ring spacing for 1/4" or 1/8" clicks, the longer spacing was 1/8" clicks.

Seems he had the club apart and not thinking mounted a 7.2 rail. When he put on the clicks on for 1k zero he was thinking 1/8", but with the 7.2 it was 1/4. I asked him if he was gonna shoot at the target or aircraft!

Bill
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Sage

Last time I was up at Bodines (probably 20 years ago?), got a kick out of Bob and Nell Bitner. They shared a rifle, Unertl w/springs removed. Bob kept yappin' at his wife when she shot, about "resetting" the scope. She finally turned around and snarled at him to keep still.

When Bob shot his relay, forgot to slide the scope forward on his second shot. We all laughed, range master reminded Bob to reset his scope, over the PA system. His wife stood there grinnin' like a possum. I miss Bob. Worked for him a bit, when I was a teenager and he drove for Allied van lines.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
I heard it was since scopes were invented.
Ha!Now we know you're speaking for yourself there John.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Banned

Nope, I used open sights till my eyes turned on me. I owed you one.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

About 10 years ago I had the oportunity to hunt a prestigious high end elk ranch in NM. The trip was a guided hunt. There were 21 hunters at base camp. Then we spread out at a rate of 7 hunters per tract.

Right before they split us up they had all the hunters take their MZ's out to check zero.

This is where it gets funny.

There were three guys there with brand new MZ's that they had never shot before. They did not even know how to load the rifles. They shoewed up with new rifles. They told the guides that the rifles did not need to be shot. They were assured by the place they bought the rifles that they were bore sighted at the store.

So all they needed to do was load and hunt. Can you believe that?? Tom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page