Rifle/shotgun combo guns point of impact - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Rifle/shotgun combo guns point of impact

Coyotes...they run at you real fast or they hang up on you out at rifle ranges..A shooter at night time needs both a shotgun and a rifle... I got to shoot my 24V 223/12 gauge today..Combo guns... Many complaints that after you zero the rifle the blast of the shot gun moves your point of impact of your rifle barrel.. I was so excited today...I shot in 24 V at 100 yards with Remington 55 SP.. After I attained Zero I shot #4 Bucket (2 3/4), # 1 buckshot (3 inch) , and (2 3/4)00 buckshot... I was so pleased to see that my zero on the rifle there after remained the same... So my Savage 24V didn't lose it's point of impact like some of the other brands of rifle shotgun combo guns..Looking forward to use the 24V this year for coytoes and on fox with 223 50 Winchester Silver Tip Ballistic Tip ammo..

I understand prior to selling the rights to Remington the Russian over and under rifle shotgun combos were excellent guns.. Seems like the Spartan combo rifle barrel didn't hold zero after the shotgun blast.
My 24V I did take it to a gunsmith that put a real heavy dutty mount and rings on the gun..I just can't wait to try it on predators this season!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rifle/shotgun combo guns point of impact

I have one just like yours for 15 years now and never had a problem. A little heavy but well worth it when it's time to shoot.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have the 222/20 ga and I have the see through mounts for the scope. I use the scope for the rifle barrel and open sights for the shotgun barrel. I'm not a big fan of lifting my head off the stock to use the scope, but it works.

Shut Up and Drill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have never had a problem losing zero after shooting the shotgun barrel. That is usually a problem with the scope or mounts being incorrectly mounted.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 12:17 AM

I had a 24FV years back and had to aim well over a foot high with the shotgun barrel when looking through my scope. TRy that when aiming at a moving critter. Didn't keep it long. The trigger pull was horrible as well.
Be careful with those .223 Winchester's on fox. You'll blow them in half.
I ended up purchasing a 22 Hornet for a fox/coyote combo caliber. I still carry my shotgun 80% of the time though.

Never Misses
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Gerald Stewart highlighted that the Win Ballistic Silver Tips are fur friendly in the 223. I'm going to give the 50 grainers a try to see how they do on fox.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck
Gerald Stewart highlighted that the Win Ballistic Silver Tips are fur friendly in the 223. I'm going to give the 50 grainers a try to see how they do on fox.
I have personal experience with them, shot them in .223 and 22-250. They are not fur friendly in my opinion.

Never Misses
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Todate I have used the 50 grains Silver tips in my 22250 for chucks...At point blank no blow up.. At 100 yards blow up for sure...After 100 yards there is not any blow up..The 22250 would not be good for fox because of the 100 yard shots. Also the chucks are a bit more bulky too. I am just getting around to trying the Silver Tips in my 223. Probably like you said it's going to be just to strong for fox. Maybe bobcat are a bit bulkier and can take the Silver Tip Ballistic tips a bit easier?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page