Custom Rifles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Custom Rifles

I think this would be the right category. But I am looking for a rifle to do some target shooting and kind of show off the rifle I have. What I am looking for is a Remington 700. I want to get one of those laminated stocks possibly thumbhole. I was looking at one of these stocks http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...cuBlock/Detail
but under the specifications what is the difference between a short action and long action? And if anyone has an idea for a nice long range rifle or caliber give me some ideas....looking at a .308
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Custom Rifles

.308 is a short action, longer rounds are long actions. .308 is a great target and hunting round. Some of the best tactical/target/and law enforcement rifles are .308's. Find yourself someone who can help you out with some sound advice before you spend your money, its great to bring newbies into the shooting sports, just do your homework first. You will get alot of good advice here, all you have to do is ask.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:21 AM

Your 308 will be in a short action.

And plenty of people are taking a 308 to 1000 yards on paper.

Really depends on what you want. Plenty of mags out there that will take you long range, but will eat a barrel in short order. All in what you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I have quite a bit of firearms. Somewhere around 10. But mainly just some rifles for hunting like a .270, 30 30, and .223 and some odd number of .22's. I was just seeing what some people like for long range shooting that I can put some money into to be my "prize" gun or something and that is flashy
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:08 AM

Personally the next gun I will have built is a 338 Edge with a 30" tube.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

How could I order a stock from mcmillans site? I would also like to try building a rifle close to USMC m40a3 or something very close.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:08 AM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boags
I think this would be the right category. But I am looking for a rifle to do some target shooting and kind of show off the rifle I have. What I am looking for is a Remington 700. I want to get one of those laminated stocks possibly thumbhole. I was looking at one of these stocks http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...cuBlock/Detail
but under the specifications what is the difference between a short action and long action? And if anyone has an idea for a nice long range rifle or caliber give me some ideas....looking at a .308
What is your idea of "long range"?
Is this a game getting rifle or a competition/paper puncher?
Do you reload or will you be using factory ammo?
If you are going to shoot factory ammo can you afford good ammo? (not trying to insult, just getting you to think about how much you will shoot a expensive to feed rifle if you can't afford it).
Edit to add:
You can run a .223 to 1000 yards....thats pretty "long range".
Even .22LR to 100/200yrds is getting to be the norm nowadays..

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:29 AM

A few other popular long range cartridges are the 6.5x284 and 6mmBR (mostly for competition). You can find more info here:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/

Prepare to shell out $2200 + for a custom built rifle.

benchrest
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:10 PM

.308 is probably the most economical cartridge choice for 500+ yards. I was looking at Remington's 5R Mil-spec as I didn't want to get into a build. I am not a Remington fan due some manufacturing issues I've seen, but the 5R has been getting some really good reviews. I've had several long range setups and have sold them, but if I ever do another it'll be a 700 action in 308 (24" brl) with a fixed 10x scope. Hope you find that 1/4 MOA rifle.

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I would like to do 300+ yards. ( Long range for me). I would like to shoot competition or just for my own competition, and taking a .308 out to hit some Groundhogs would be fun every once in a while. I would use factory ammo, probably Hornady. Or should I stick to my .223 Re700 SPS Varmint for distances like that? I just need a new scope because the stock one doesnt feel comfortable to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page