New scope recomondations? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

New scope recomondations?

Looking at outfitting my savage axis xp (223) with new scope as well as a new stock. (Previously mentioned in another post) This gun is used for ground hogs and fox and coyote mainly a feild gun. With a good bit of night hunting mixed in. I have a 3x9x40 Weaver scope that came on the gun. Great scope to start out with but now I’ve had it a few years and want to upgrade. I like the idea of a 50mm scope with a touch more magnification. Does anyone use lighted reticle? Seems kinda cool, never had one not sure if it’s a good idea for the night hunts or not. Looking into vortex and Leupold. Any recomondations?
simoncool likes this.

Theres Always Hope If Leads In The Air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 08:03 PM

ANYTHING VORTEX... Just got a Crossfire II for my 300 win mag, and they are clear as day... I have a diamondback on my 17 hornet and its awesome for night hunting, and combines well with my light. its a 3x9x40.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 08:18 PM

I would recommend either Bushnell or Simmons in 3x9 power ,not sure about night hunting but my dad and I like them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 08:54 PM

2nd VORTEX

Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
Fully transferable
No warranty card to fill out
No receipt needed to hang on to

No one is coming close to beating this.
Pahack likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Will the 6x20 be to much for night time? Always used a 3x9 just wanted a little more zoom!!!!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 07:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

Glass quality and coatings trump both objective size and magnification. At night you are going to want the best glass you can afford. The next consideration is that you want the exit pupil (obj diameter/magnification) to be at least as large as your fully dilated pupil (4-7mm for most).

A 6-20x50 has an exit pupil of over 8 at when set on 6x. Here's the problem, though. Unless you have an unlimited budget, which few of us do, you are going to be sacrificing glass quality at every price point to get the extra magnification and objective size. For that reason, you are almost guaranteed to be better off with a 3-9x40(or 42 or 44) than something higher powered.

For example, a vortex viper 6.5-20x50 and a meopta meopro 3-9x40 are both going to cost close to $500. Your better low light performance will be in the Meopta. I would argue that the better overall performance would be the Meopta as well unless you are shooting small targets at long range in full daylight.
simoncool likes this.

Last edited by ROVERT; 01-29-2018 at 09:07 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 07:16 AM
Frequent Contributor

As for an actual recommendation, what is the budget?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

Generally speaking the lower the magnification the better the picture in low light conditions. I would take a look at the new Vortex Strike Eagle rifle scopes in 3-18 and 4-24, they seem to have a lot of features and high Magnification ratio for a good price. This would give you your low end for night hunting while still giving you high zoom during the day.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/57...-reticle-matte

Also make sure you use the illumination on the low settings at night otherwise you will washout the picture.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

My budget is $500.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 10:24 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckmaster3000 View Post
My budget is $500.
I'm fairly confident that the Meopta Meopro is going to be the best glass you can get at that price point. CLNY has a 3-10x50 on sale now for $400, which is an excellent deal if you want a 50mm. The catch is that it is silver.

The other scopes I would suggest looking at would be VX3's, Vipers, Sightron SII Big Sky, and Bushnell Elite 4500's. To my eyes, these all compare very closely. The Meopta is a step up in quality. I haven't any experience with a Strike Eagle but suspect the glass isn't going to be of the same level as the Vipers. It's going to be tough to get illumination, higher magnification, and good low light glass at $500. You can basically have two but not all three.

If you have any intention of twisting turrets and can wait until April, I would strongly suggest going after an SWFA 3-9x42 HD during the tax day sale. The glass is better than all of the above, save the Meopta, and the tracking is much more reliable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page