Value of a Win. 61 .22 mag? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Value of a Win. 61 .22 mag?

My Grandpa is going to be auctioning off all his guns. He won't give me a crack at them before the sale because he doesn't want to show favoritism. He has a Winchester model 61 hammerless in .22 mag that will be in the auction next month. Any idea what this gun would be worth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Value of a Win. 61 .22 mag?

Review on "gunsamerica" or " gun broker" or "steve barnett guns" to get a idea of you inlaws value of the M61 Win. The last time I checked the price..900.00 to 2500.00 depending on condition. Doc in Pa.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Certain models are worth ALOT of $$$. Do your homework. its worth much less if there are extra holes drilled in it to mount a scope, if this was done, its collectability is ruined. As an heirloom, who cares, its your grandpas and you can't put a price on that. Auctions are GOOFY! Some people will pay thousands for junk because they think its something special, watch out for the Goober with the fat wallet!

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Like most things that didn't fly the 61 magnum was not popular, IIRC all 61s were hammerless. 99% were in 22 RF LR. the hammer models, popular at gallery shooting ranges were mod 62.

At the time they were introduced no one I knew wanted to pump action 22 mags at the outrageous cost of $1 a box!!!

They were only made for a few years about 1960. By 1964 Winchester was hurting and reduced the qualtiy on all their firearms and just dropped the 61 mag all together.

A nice firearm, and good walk around farm fence rows groundhog rifle.

I'd expect in great shape to get about $800-1000 for it retail. obviously condition means everything...along with finding a wanting buyer.

Moose, if you PM me, I have a brother who might be interested, let me know when and where the auction is.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 06:14 AM

Maybe you could suggest that Grandpa have them appraised and let all family members bid on them prior to a public auction.That would solve the favoritism.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo666
Maybe you could suggest that Grandpa have them appraised and let all family members bid on them prior to a public auction.That would solve the favoritism.

He won't do that. This gun is pristine with no holes drilled anywhere. I think it's going to go high and he wants it to. He also has a 61 in 22 lr maybe I'll try for that one. Harry, PM sent.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i'm having a hard time with a grandpa auctioning off his firearms when there are willing and able grandchildred available to hand them down again in 50 years...it just kills me.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:36 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayd4wg
i'm having a hard time with a grandpa auctioning off his firearms when there are willing and able grandchildred available to hand them down again in 50 years...it just kills me.
My grandfather did the same thing..None of us grand-kids got anything...What is it with grandpas?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayd4wg
I am too.The 22 rifle my son has was my grandfathers,he gave it to my dad,my dad gave it to me and I gave it to my son.4 generations.He already knows he has to give it to his son.He knows upon my death he has a few firearms coming to him anyhow.I hope he ends up having a son to share shooting and hunting with.Don't get me wrong I love my girls but then the guns leave the family.Moose best of luck,obviously the gun means something to you.I hope you win it at auction.I feel that way so much if I went to the auction I would not bid against you.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 12:26 PM

Greed and gravity are the two stongest forces on earth!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page