Winchester Model 70 EW Vs Tikka T3 Lite SS - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Winchester Model 70 EW Vs Tikka T3 Lite SS

I'm looking to purchase a bad weather/going through the brush gun so I don't destroy my walnut stuck Browning X-Bolt. Anybody shooting a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather or a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless? Tikka is a good bit cheaper, but has great reviews for being super accurate and reliable. I'd probably swap the stock on the Tikka to a Bell and Carlson like the Winchester has too, so now the price would only be slightly less. I don't like the fact that the Winchester is assembled in Portugal now, but still looks and feels like a great gun. Pros and Cons for both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:27 AM
Frequent Contributor

Honestly you probably can't go wrong with either one, the Model 70 is an old standby and one of my favorite actions but the support for the Tikka is growing due to its light weight and accuracy at a price that is manageable for the average hunter. While I don't have the EW I do have the SG, I was able to dial it in with handloads and it served as my long range rifle for several years. The only Tikka I have seen in person shoots 1/2 MOA groups with handloads, I haven't seen it shoot factory ammo but based on the reports I'd say it's at least MOA.

One thing I would just confirm is that B&C makes a stock that fits the Tikka with the standard bottom metal. I know the aftermarket support is growing for the Tikka due to its affordability I just haven't looked into what they have availible. If you already looked it up then disregard this part.

Another concern to note is the weight, with the heavier calibers and no mountain hunting I would take the Model 70 as it will be more pleasant to shoot. A buddy of mine has a Tikka T3 Lite in .300 WM, it is a bear to shoot, it really jumps back at you even in a lead sled. Obviously not much of an issue while hunting since you don't notice it but something to keep in mind if it will be shot for fun.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:47 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I have an EW in 300WSM. I like it a LOT. Some don't like the contours of the B&C stock, but if you shoulder it and are good with it, then that's not a concern.

My father has a Tikka T3 in 243. Also a good rifle.

If cost is not the deciding factor, I'd take the Winchester every day and twice on Sunday, but that's just me. Dad is probably the opposite. I don't mind figuring out a rifle's wants to perform to its potential. He wants to get it out of the box, put on a scope, shoot a brand or two of ammo, and call it done. For that, the Tikka is likely the better choice.

That said, with proper load development, I have the EW shooting well under MOA for 3 shot groups, and that's moving a 180 Partition at all but 3000fps. There's not much to hunt in North American that doesn't bite back that such a load won't handle quite well.

For whatever reason, my EW has played "backup" on a lot of trips. It was my bad weather rifle for my mulie trip to Nebraska, and I took the mulie with my 264WM.

Also my bad weather gun for my elk hunt in Colorado this past fall, but my elk fell to my 270. In hindsight, the EW would have been the right choice....the 270 bears a fair number of "war wounds" now on its stock (pre64) from my pack out the day I got the elk. It also snowed on me that day, and the lower weight of the EW would have been nice, to boot.

One of these trips, I gotta make the EW my first stringer, but it just seems....too easy?

I do tend to make that my rifle of choice when I hunt with my daughter. In those cases, I'm her backup only, and for that duty, I have always gone to my 300 for its capabilities and dependability. That I guess is an endorsement in and of itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:29 AM
Frequent Contributor

I was in a similar boat as you a few months ago. I looked at the EW and felt it was a perfect action. Just the stock was to chunky for me. Mainly the grip area is what I didn't like. With glove on it was to large. I also looked at the Tikka's. They are just not my flavor. I ended up with a Kimber and am very happy. I actually rarely look at blue guns any more for my big game hunting rifles. More often than not, I am in constant changing weather. If it's not condensation its rain or snow or fog. I like the stainless.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:37 AM

I use a stock tikka ss for my deer hunting. No reason to swap stock. Put money into a good scope and ammo. The whole idea is a lightweight gun that can handle bad weather and some dings? I'm buying another soon and am going 7mm-08. It will be my new bigger game gun. With proper bullets and placement it will be fine for me as I hate 300+ shooting, and recoil. The one I use now is a .243 and i use it at home in field situations and in the "mtns" of pa and ny. 95g ballistic silvertips. Touching at 100 and I'm a bad shot. Kills deer, easy to carry, easy to maintain.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 11:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

I'd choose the Winchester. I have a couple of Tikkas and a few Model 70's (only one FN). I prefer the features of a Model 70, the magazine, safety, and lack of plastic in particular. My last bolt gun acquisition was a Tikka but that is because Winchester won't make a lefty. The T3X abandoned the plastic bolt shroud and I replaced the "bottom plastic" with bottom metal. I did replace the stock on my Tikka but wouldn't have needed to. It shot VERY well with the factory stock. I have a hard time warming up to plastic stocks though and actually wanted a little more weight so I put a laminate on it. I completely understand putting the Medalist on and would be tempted to do the same for a lightweight rifle but don't feel like you would have to in order to get results.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunjack View Post
I was in a similar boat as you a few months ago. I looked at the EW and felt it was a perfect action. Just the stock was to chunky for me. Mainly the grip area is what I didn't like. With glove on it was to large. I also looked at the Tikka's. They are just not my flavor. I ended up with a Kimber and am very happy. I actually rarely look at blue guns any more for my big game hunting rifles. More often than not, I am in constant changing weather. If it's not condensation its rain or snow or fog. I like the stainless.
What model Kimber did you end up going with?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I ending up buying, after a long amount of deliberation a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 30-06. I wanted a caliber that I could load up or down the weight scale and still shoot well. It has proven to be an outstanding rifle in accuracy and fit and finish. Once I had realized I was going outside of my normal budget for a rifle, I decided to look at what options were out there. I decided on 4 which met my criteria. Kimber, Legendary Arms Works Professional or LAW (which is based out of Reinholds, PA which is 25 minutes from my house), Barrett Fieldcraft and Montana Rifle Co X2. I chose a Kimber over others I consider in a similar price range. Because they are a large company. Stable and not going anywhere. Both the Legendary Arms works and the Montana rifle Co Rifles were the first to go, because I have read to many online reviews of horrible customer service and issues with the rifles. Both in the accuracy and fit and finish. The Barrett field craft at the time in 30-06 was unable to be found. So it was a toss up between the Kimber and the Barrett. Then I found a New Mountain Ascent for a screaming deal.

On a side note for choosing the 30-06. I had a friend scold me for picking a boring caliber. I attempted to explain my rational. I can load down or up to suit my needs and I have never been anywhere where I can't find 30-06 ammo. So on a trip if my ammo doesn't make it. I can buy off the shelf stuff. Just about anywhere. He also said to me well there are much flatter shooting options out there. Which I agreed. But I don't shoot over 300 yards. Or try not to and ballistic turrets have take all the guess work out about hold overs.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Gunjack; 01-25-2018 at 12:33 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

One gun that peaked my interest that I came across in a recent Grice flyer is the Christensen Arms Mesa. USA made, cerakote barrel and action, sub MOA guarantee, $1250. Probably the best looking composite/stainless gun Iíve come across. Anyone own a rifle made by them?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:10 AM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewMc View Post
One gun that peaked my interest that I came across in a recent Grice flyer is the Christensen Arms Mesa. USA made, cerakote barrel and action, sub MOA guarantee, $1250. Probably the best looking composite/stainless gun Iíve come across. Anyone own a rifle made by them?
I almost bought one of them last summer but the reviews scared me off.I was in Grice's over the weekend to pick up another Kimber Montana.I ran into a buddy of mine and he was back with a Christenson rifle of some sort for the third time.Every time he shot,the clip would drop out.They were finally giving him a new gun.I handled one and they do look and feel nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page