Trop Gun Shop - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Trop Gun Shop

Someone had posted here a couple of days ago that a rumor was circulating around the Lebanon Co gun show that the trop gun shop was closing it's doors and I can't find the post so I am putting this here. I emailed the Trop this morning and received a nice response from the store manager Joe Novosel who told me this story has been circulating around several gun shows and assured me that it isn't true they are doing fine and not in financial trouble.
triggercreep likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I will say this, unless you are one of the regular tactiCOOL customers....service isn't the greatest. Bought several firearms from them. Each time it was like they were doing me a favor. Went in one time I planned on picking up a 30-30 for my son, an MP15 Sport II for myself and an MP Shield for my wife. Nothing was in stock, nor was anyone interested in finding when they would be available. That's OK, Kinsey's was more than happy to take the almost $1500.

When Trops moved from their original location, they lost a lot of their "base". I worked less than 1/2 mile from there and went in quite frequently at lunch. Was always packed at the gun counter. Older fellas, talking guns, hunters getting ready for upcoming seasons, etc... When they moved they were packed for the first year. Now, I go by quite frequently as does my wife and son, might be half the crowd, even on Fridays and Saturdays.

As for me, I'll by ammo there, some mods for the AR, if I know what I want and i don't have to deal with the tactiCOOL counter guys.
BBB and triggercreep like this.

Bowhunting IS life...The rest is just details!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Sage

They are catering to the tactical crowd, not the hunting crowd anymore. They no longer have a gunsmith they now had a gun assembler they call their armorer who puts uppers and lowers together. They have found a niche in the tactical crowd and you can't blame them for making money where it is available. If I have to shoot a gun and the weather is bad I will use the indoor range, if they have a special on ammo I need I will buy it bit I know it isn't a place that inventories for hunters anymore and that is ok. So far as Kinsey's goes, I have noticed they are backsliding in my opinion in the last years , that is why I bought my crossbow at Lancaster Archery. Several years ago I had a nice 12 ga. Franchi O/U I wanted to sell because I wanted a new SXS. I took it to Kinseys. I bought that gun from the factory in Italy when I was there on a Med cruise. The gun was in better than good condition and the inside of the barrel was spotless and shiny and the bluing was good and it locked up tight and it was an ejector gun. They said no one wants a gun without screw in chokes What they offered me, $200.00, really ticked me off and I told them I would use it for a tomato stake before I sold it to them for that price. I ran up to Carl Wolf and got a reasonable price for the gun, we were both happy. Lancaster county use to have a lot of good gun shops, we are now down to a few one by one they are closing down.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 02:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

Trop started down the path to where it is now quite a while before moving to its currently location. The move did pretty much finish the transition, though. Used guns are basically gone. Reloading components and supplies have dwindled greatly. I miss the old store with hunting clothes, waders, fishing gear, fly tying materials, and reloading supplies all crammed in the lower level. All of those items were surprisingly well stocked for the floor space available. I've gotten a lot of good deals at Trop over the years. Not too many have come from the new location. They did often have bricks of .22 lr at a fair price long after everywhere else seemed to have none. That too has dried up now. They are well stocked with tactical items and not a lot else. The thing is I'd much rather shop at Lanco for that type of stuff. I've never been impressed with Kinsey's firearms department. I still buy archery stuff there. Shyda's is the place to go for reloading.
BBB and nomad_archer like this.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 02:58 PM

Used guns are hard to find anywhere around here! When I lived in NC there were used gun shops and pawn shops all over. Up here you either have to buy new or go to Cabelas and pay new prices for used guns! I miss those southern Pawn shops.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 03:10 PM

I buy a lot at Richland Shooters Supplies, usually have a great selection of reloading items & used guns.
was just at Cabelas & the prices are very high compared to the other shops.........

NRA life member
DU member
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 04:29 AM

I did business with Trop's 20 something yeras ago when the Italian guy owned it. He was great. The new owners (2 females) have definitely gone the AR and handgun route - neither intersts me. My prime interest is in components and nobody round here beats Shydas.
nomad_archer likes this.

benchrest
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoolshooter View Post
I did business with Trop's 20 something yeras ago when the Italian guy owned it. He was great. The new owners (2 females) have definitely gone the AR and handgun route - neither intersts me. My prime interest is in components and nobody round here beats Shydas.
Mike Marchiori?

Unless something has changed fairly recently, the "new" owners are the Dunn's (husband and wife) and Mike's wife, JoAnn, is still a part owner. The Dunn's were the driving force for the changes. Things may have changed but that was the status last I knew.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 07:48 AM

Like many of you, I enjoy Shydas. I have never found anything in trop that interested me and didn't care to work with the gun counter. Shydas on the other hand good selection of reloading components and a good selection of firearms with fair prices. The best part is I dont have to take a number to handle a rifle. I can browse the shelves and take a look as I come across something that interests me.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 10:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVERT View Post
Mike Marchiori?
I believe that was his name, he was the also owner /operator of Century Spouting until his passing.
Mike bought the gunshop from Ed Landis who bought it from Marlin Longenecker who originally started it "in" the then "Tropical Treat" drive-in at intersection of Rt 230 and Cloverleaf Rd, the location of Burger King today.
Eventually Marlin moved the gunshop to his home on Cloverleaf Rd, it's name shortened to "Trop" and years later built and moved it to the building next door.

As a side note of interest the "Trop" drive-in was the official staging area for the Friday-Saturday night Rt 230 drag races, the 1/4 mile from the "Truckers Welcome" sign in front of the Farm Diner, now the Goodwill, to the phone booth in front of Jerry's ESSO!

As far as the "New' Trop is concerned, I haven't been in the joint for two years or more. They rarely ever have what I want or need.

Bill

Last edited by WildBill; 01-25-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page