Barrel Life? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Barrel Life?

Sorry if this has been hashed out in the past, but I tried to search and could not find anything.

Does anyone know of any actual scientific data that shows what to expect for barrel life, number of rounds, and the affects on accuracy? I'm not trying to start a debate about breaking in a barrel or proper cleaning methods, just looking for resources.

Any informaiton would be appreciated, it's for a work related project.

Thanks, Paul

We all make choices, some good, some bad, can you live up to yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barrel Life?

link also the barrel makers have some stuff on there sites if you look.

"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor."

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, thats the kind of info iI'm looking for.

Anyone else?

We all make choices, some good, some bad, can you live up to yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Wiz

Don't know about about any scientific data, but barrel life can vary depending on a number of factors. Some like to hand load and make hot loads which will shorten barrel life. The repeated use of steel brushes also can wear down a barrel.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Banned

I know they say the Weatherby mags and such aren't even good for a thousand rounds.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Moose
I know they say the Weatherby mags and such aren't even good for a thousand rounds.
I will get the popcorn. Sounds like the magnum vs anti-magnum debate is going to be revived.

In all seriousness there are lots of factors affect barrel life. Most people that buy a new gun though won't shoot it enough in their life to wear out the barrel.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have been shooting a long time. And I honestly have never seen any "scientific" data on barrel life. Lots of opinions, but never any real data.

And there is a reason for this. The reason is that barrel life has less to do with cartridge selection, and much more to do with how you shoot and clean your rifle.

No doubt the hotter cartridges are going to wear a barrel faster. We all understand that. But there are many ways to extend that barrel life with proper cleaning, and just not getting the barrel so hot. Pretty simple.

We have two Wby. rifles that both have well over 1,000 rounds down the tube. One is a 300 Wby. Mag. and the other is a 7 MM Wby. Mag. The barrels are still going strong. However we never heated them up while shooting. No rapid firing of 4 or 5 or 6 shots. Just steady shooting and letting the barrel cool down when practicing and shooting at the bench. And good proper cleaning and care.

The better steel and better machining techniques used today are extending the life of barrels. Versus the old soft steel. Tom.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:06 AM
The Man

Three major factors that I'm aware of that can/will decrese barrel life:

1. Poor and/or improper cleaning methods. Keep your barrel clean and use the right brushes, solvents and guides.

2. Shooting a barrel hot.......then keep shooting it. That's why serious prairie dog shooters take two rifles......one to shoot while the other cools. Heat your barrel up scorching hot and continue shooting it that way and you will be doing irreparable damage.

3. Shooting "overbore" rounds. By overbore, I mean small bore diameter with a big powder charge. All Weatherbys do not fit into this category. I would say (this is my guess) that the sub-7mm Weatherbys are going to be the ones harder on barrels than the 7mm and up. The .257, 6.5 and 7mm STW's are overbore pretty badly as isthe 7mm RUM. There are others. The vast majority of which are wildcats. It's the old 10 lbs. of poop in a 5 lb. poke. When 80 or 90 or 100 grains of powder burns in milliseconds and has to go somewhere, the scorching hot gases like an easy escape route. A 30 or 33 or 37 caliber escape route doesn't take near the abuse mthat a 25 or 26 or 28 caliber one will. The extreme heat will slowly erode the metal immediately ahead of the chamber (throat) and eventually ruin accuracy. Magnum performance has its (many) costs.

For the average shooter or hunter, barrel life will probably rarely if ever be an issue. The majority of guys will never fire enough rounds through their rifles tfor it to be. The ones who do shoot that much just factor it in as a part of the game.

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

depending on the caliber, how long between shots for cool down, type of powder used, hot loads.

It's been said that corrosive primers in military ammo causes errosion.

do the homework before the hunt
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Weatherby rifles have long throats. Supposedly to help with erosion and pressures.

I don't think 95% of them ever get shot enough to wear out.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page