What is a 30-06 worth? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

What is a 30-06 worth?

I have a 15 year-old Remington 700 BDL in .30-06 with a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 scope. I also have a .308 and a 25-06 so I feel like this rifle is redundant and I have not used it in a couple years.

I am thinking about selling it and using the proceeds to get a 300 wsm or a 7mm magnum as a longer range rifle for the next time I go out west for elk. I have shot some nice bucks with this rifle, though, so it has some sentimental value. In good shape, what would this rifle be worth (scope included)?

Thanks, I am trying to decide whether I should hang onto it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A gun is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it combined with how much effort you are willing to put into it.

A recent blue book is a valuable resource, but you must be realistic about the condition of your firearm.
If you don't have a blue book and don't feel like buying one take it to your LGS. If they are nice they may actually let you see the book when they are grading the gun; not acting like the book is a coveted publication that only they know how to read. Be familiar with your gun; there are many variations\calibers and years produced that increase or decrease the value of your particular gun.

Get a Gun broker account so you can search the "completed listings" and see if you can find your gun or a similar model to determine what people have actually been willing to pay.

You will take a hit on a scope more than likely, so don't be offended when the LGS doesn't offer the same $ for a used scope as used gun.
FTF sale gets you the most $, selling to your LGS the least, and selling on Gun Broker is the most hassle.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 06:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Not understanding your idea. you are worried about redundancy so you want to sell your 30-06 and buy something that is basically the same as your 30-06. Yeah I know the magnums mentioned are mildly more powerful but this can be negated with the high energy loads offered by Federal and Hornady. And your guide probably will advise against any shot at great distance.
willyp and Marcus99 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by superd View Post
Not understanding your idea. you are worried about redundancy so you want to sell your 30-06 and buy something that is basically the same as your 30-06. Yeah I know the magnums mentioned are mildly more powerful but this can be negated with the high energy loads offered by Federal and Hornady. And your guide probably will advise against any shot at great distance.
Uggh, I didn't want to say that and deleted it as part of my prior post about if the '06 is a good shooter with a heavier quality bullet then maybe an examination into the gains in ballistics of the other calibers mentioned wasn't worth the hassle of selling\buying hoping the new gun was a shooter.....

But back on topic I went to the library and my older (31st edition) blue book had two pages of BDL models and the "classic" was from 775$-260$ based on condition from 100-60%. But heck, you may have the Dale Ernhart edition or a detachable mag, or ..... and then the prices are all different.
So I can't answer your question and without the gun in hand (or really good pics) it would take someone with more knowledge than I have to you get an accurate answer.

If I wanted to buy your gun I would try to figure out what it would cost me to buy it new and make sure the savings I was getting was worth the chance of buying used. I have found that if someone stumbles across a factory gun that is a true tack driver they usually don't want to part with it.
Just an opinion.
willyp likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks guys. So an average is around $500. I guess Iíll just hang onto it. You canít do much with $500 these days. I am still going to buy a faster cartridge but I think Iíll save the 30-06. I am starting to have more firearms than I have room for though.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Oh, also, I donít use guides.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 07:13 PM

I was going to say less than $500, so if you were thinking more, you're better off hanging on to it. The gloss finish on the BDL isn't too popular these days either.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 08:17 PM

....and the gun market is pretty soft right now (unless/until we get another gun grabber next election) unless you have something unique. In my early hunting days everyone and their brother that had a bolt gun had a rem BDL 06 (or a 760), so unless you really need the dough, better off to keep it........and use it!
Besides if you're creative you can always find another spot in the house to put another gun.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
I was going to say less than $500, so if you were thinking more, you're better off hanging on to it. The gloss finish on the BDL isn't too popular these days either.
I was guessing 500ish. To buy it new with the scope and mount, it would probably cost about $1200. I also have about $100 worth of ammo for it. For less than $500, I'll just keep it. Thanks
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 02:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

At a large local gunshow last weekend 700's like you are describing were going 500-550 so I'd say you're spot on with your estimate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page