38 Sp Bullets - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

38 Sp Bullets

What is a good 38 SP bullet for target practice? Defense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 09:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

You ask for the best. Well in close to 50 years of casting and shooting the 38Spec,as well as other rounds. For me it is hands down the RCBS 38-150 cast bullet. Over different Shotgun powders I have used over the years. This bullet is very accurate as well as having a generous lube ring and punches a very nice hole in paper. I would look for something close to this cast Bullet. In 357 I shoot the RCBS 38-158 SWC. Basically the same bullet but this bullet will take a Gas check.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 10:23 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hornady, P.M. sent to you from 007mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
What is a good 38 SP bullet for target practice? Defense.
Is that two questions or one? Is your revolver rated for +p ? Is it one of the old fixed sight colts or smiths?

The old K frame S&Ws with fixed sights were regulated for 158 grain bullets so they tend to shoot them best. Your mileage may vary.

In general, since I do not cast my own, I use lead semi-hard cast 158 grain semi-wad cutters from a variety of sources for all my older guns for most practice with any 38 spl. I've gotten great results from Penn Bullets, and with bullets from PRECISION CAST in Lebanon, PA. You can get them at both Encks & Shyda's. Being SWC, they work well on small game and varmints. That's why I don't bother with round nose designs, but if your only shooting paper, they would work just as good.

I've also used 140 grain double base wad cutters with success for target practice.

I tend to mostly Hodgdon Tite-Group powder for these target loads.

For defense loads in my J-frame 442 (snubbie) and other +p capable 38s, I carry Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammunition 38 Special +P 135 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point. It's a handful from a snubbie, but I don't shoot it all the time!

Big LSWC's rule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page