2Likes
  • 1 Post By cen
  • 1 Post By Heit

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
cen
Hooked on HuntingPa

Identifying rifle

My wifeís stepfather recently passed and I was given 5 guns from my mother in law. Iím trying to sell them as I donít need Any more rifles but cannot identify one rifle, so I have no idea of the value. Itís obviously a Mauser action in 30.06, but thatís about all I can figure. The most obvious imprint is ďKarab 98bĒ on the receiver. I forget how to post a picture but could probably email one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7DC837CF-D286-4A3C-BABE-AAEC0837A19C.jpg (1.05 MB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 10550ABA-6985-4167-A1B6-E3F5F8F5932C.jpg (1.40 MB, 41 views)
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 04:51 PM

Probably just a sporterized Mauser. Very common thing to do in that era, taking mil surplus rifles and converting them for hunting use. Chop the barrel down(or rebarrel/rechamber), add sporter style stock, drill for scope mounts, bend bolt handle, etc...

There is a million of these sort of rifles out there, Mausers, '03 springfields, Krags, etc... Some were done nicely, others are chop jobs. They're usually not worth anything other than as a run of the mill hunting rifle.

My opinion, ball park, $250 +/- $100 depending on where and how you sell it.

Last edited by Marcus99; 01-06-2018 at 07:57 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 05:03 PM
The Man

I found this online. It is a description of a military 98 Mauser up for auction but it should provide some of the info you want.

This is an example of a Kar 98b rifle that was introduced in 1923. These types of "carbines" had the 29 inch Gewehr 98 type barrel, tangent rear sight, rear barrel band with side sling attachment bar, and a turned down bolt handle. These types of rifles were WWI GEW rifles that were converted to a new model in the Kar 98b configuration by lowering the bolt handle down and installing the improved rear sight. The rifles were designated as a carbine to comply with the Treaty of Versailles, which only allowed Germany to produce carbines, not rifles. The rifle has an inverted "V" front sight, leather sling, bayonet lug and stock disc. The left side of the receiver ring is stamped with a Reichswehr acceptance mark and serial number, with three Reichswehr eagle number proofs on the right side. A Nazi eagle firing proof is marked on the barrel along with the serial number, "S" and "116" followed by various proof marks. The receiver wall is marked "karab. 98b". Except for the buttplate, matching visible serial numbers including stock. The stock has various faint stamped proofs, including the Reichswehr Heer acceptance mark. The Karabiner 98k was derived from this variant of the Gewehr 98.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
cen
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks much
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 05:32 PM

take it to a gun show? see what they say.

"one hand clapping" mork from ork
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:25 PM
The Man

Nice stock !!

Some nice checkering would REALLY make that rifle pop for eye appeal.

demokraten saugen
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 11:19 AM

The K98k Forum
171farm likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 01:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
Nice stock !!

Some nice checkering would REALLY make that rifle pop for eye appeal.
That wood is to pretty to mar it up.

Its a nice 98K sporter. Value is in the eye of the buyer, you wont retire on it if that is what you are thinking. It is well done from what I can see so I would put it nearer 350 than 300, unless you can find someone in love with it. Problem is that the low priced sporter market is taking a beating because companies like Rem are stamping out plastic stocked utility 700's. The market for a nice blue in wood rifle that has class is more limited.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page