CC Handgun for the wife - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

CC Handgun for the wife

so the wife decided its time for her to get a CC handgun. She has had her permit for while and wants to finally "pull the trigger"

My question is this. Any woman out there...what are you carrying? or guys, what is your wife carrying?

And why?

My wife is not a shooter and I know that no matter what, she is going to get to some training and a lot of practice. Small hands and weak grips. right now I am leaning toward one of the Glock .380s.

I know this will get alot of different opinions and do not want it to turn into a debate i would just like to hear what is out there and the pros and cons that you see.

Your just jealous because I've been chatting online with babes all day!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 09:22 PM

Whatever feels best to her and she is able to operate with ease. If she is lacking in the hand strength department, perhaps a snub nose revolver in .38+P. The Glock would probably be a nice option if she is able to rack the slide(some women are not). I worked in a gun shop for a few years and I frequently found that many women liked a small revolver just for the simple point and shoot, no nonsense of it.

Last edited by Marcus99; 01-01-2018 at 09:26 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 09:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My wife loves her Beretta 21a in 22lr. With super maxium 22 lr it packs a nice wallop at 1700 fps, She cannot rack the slide an any semi, This is a no need to rack te slide gun,

Good luck, Stant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 10:22 PM

my adive to new women shooters and CCW... nothing beats a 5 shot revolver to start. It goes bang everytime, and at a max difference of 7 yards for someone defending themselves it works. try a 38 and once she gets used to it, move on to a semi like compact glock or sig. My wife carries a 40 Springfield XD but she works in law enforcement and shoots regularly. lastly, anything she shoots has to fit her hand comfortably and naturally. if it doesn't, she will never like it or shoot it well.
Dogface likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 10:45 PM

First one I got my wife to carry was a S&M 38P+ 380 5 shot. Next was a 9 MM S&P with a laser sight.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:03 PM
Regular Visitor

When my wife decided she was ready to start carrying, we went and looked over all the options. She had limited shooting experience so we decided to with a revolver. I'm glad we did. It has less moving parts. I figured that if she had trouble remembering the basics of the semi autos function in the store, I definitely didn't want her to be fumbling around with it in a high pressure situation where it could mean life or death!
We went with a s&w 642. It is small, light, and it has an enclosed hammer so it is virtually snag proof. She practices with it out to 7 yards, and she does pretty well with it at that distance.
To summarize, I think sticking with an easy to use gun, that she is comfortable with and practice as much as you can! Good luck!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:16 PM

I agree with what some others have already posted. For a new shooter a revolver is a great choice.

Never Misses
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 03:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My wife carries a S&W 642 5-shot snubbie loaded with +P ammo.

She can shoot a lot of my handguns, but she has some physical limitations which make the snubbie a better choice for her.

Light, easy to carry and conceal, easier for her to manipulate (no working the slide, etc).

Steve
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 09:40 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Wife carries a ruger LCR 38+P.
I added a crimson trace laser later.
Simple and reliable.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 01:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Ruger LCR .327 Fed Mag. You can run the whole gammet of .32's through it. Get her practicing with low powered 32 S&W Longs to get used to shooting and familiar with her gun and work her up to full house .327 loads for CC. Great option. It's my CC gun and I love it. Even the full house .327's are pleasant to shoot but undoubtedly will stop someone like right now if need be.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!

Last edited by GermanHillHunter; 01-02-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page