tired of the insults against the big mags - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

tired of the insults against the big mags

recently i was on another websight forum and a guy had asked a simple question about one of the big mags...same old same old..what was a reasonable question ,turned into a flame throwing session..you know all the 270 win, thuty ought six, i can kill anything don't need a big mag comments..all the big mag ego trip comments.but can't shoot them accurately comments...i really get sick of it...i rarely ever hear the guy's that shoot the big mags..talking down the 270..30-06 ect...it's alway's the other way around....so here's my opinion...1st...what does it matter who shoots what?..free country...2nd..its not an ego thing..3rd..i think anyone and i mean any grown adult man can learn to shoot a mag rifle right up and including the 375 [email protected]ntly i was shooting one of the big boy's plinking soda bottles filled with water. And i had to think..the recoil really wasn't bad at all!!!...why all the fuss...i think it's human nature....most guy's just don't want to put up with the little bit of extra recoil...so they talk down the guy's that do...kinda like the guy's out on the job at work(construction)..."it's so hot".."it's so cold"..."i'm not carrying that"....or the hunters that say..."i'm not climbing up that mt"..."i'm not walking way back there to get a deer"....poo...poo..poo....well i say let a guy shoot what he wants...nobody said you had to...as for me i love my 25-06...but every now and then i like to shoot something..that when i pull the trigger, i know it's going to.."lay the daiseys low"....so for all the big mag shooters...hats off to ya brotha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:26 AM
The Man

Re: tired of the insults against the big mags

This is a discussion board, where everyone gives an opinion or personal view on various topics..If you really don't want to hear what anyone else has to say, you're at the wrong place..

I own a few magnum rifles and usually try to get one or two out into the field each year..Having said that, my problem lies with those who will come on here and try and convince everyone that a magnum is a "must have" if you are to be adequately armed to take on Pennsylvania game animals, then
they try to present 600 and 700 bears as daily occurrences and make it the reason why anyone using less than a magnum is inhumane and will only succeed in sending a wounded animal off onto the next ridge where somebody else will bag it (God forbid).

A magnum rifle in Pa., to me, is a novelty, same as there are folks that might like to use a Sharps rifle for their deer hunting, or a 50 BMG for their long range stuff.

If you want to use a magnum, that's fine, but don't make it seem like you are under gunned if you don't use one.Experienced hunters know better.
post #3 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Banned

If only one brand or caliber was the "best" there wouldn't be so many brands and calibers on the market.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:55 AM

I love my 22 Hornet and 340 Weatherby Magnum.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #5 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

if the world wanted a bunch of one sided views, the web would be a bunch of websites with no discussion boards or forums..but we as humans like to debate and discuss things.

more on topic...if my quarry does not require it, then why subject myself to the abuse of a big belted magnum? I don't WANT to put my big boy pants on just to go to the range and plink some soda cans. I want to enjoy my time. i shot a 375H&H...i don't like it. I've shot bigger...i don't enjoy feeling like mike tyson just jabbed me in the shoulder every time the trigger goes click.

I learned a long time ago that shot placement matters more than the size of the slug. watched a video on the net once of an iraqi soldier, hit midsection with a 50BMG, return fire (accurately) for about 20 seconds until he passed...had that shot been a few inches higher...

We have all seen that deer too. the one that is missing one side of its' rib cage, doing mach 10 thru the forest ending up a couple hundred yards from where it was initially shot with the elephant gun...and yet there's an equally abundant group of folks who have seen deer drop to their belly with a single hit in the chest from a .243...it's alll about shot placement and DELIVERY of the available kinetic energy. a heavy indestructible .50 cal slug running right thru the target (as was the case of the 50BMG story above) vs. a well designed ballistic tip or hollow point 24 cal bullet expanding completely and delivering 100% of it's available kinetic energy to the target...with 1/10th the recoil, 1/2 or less weight in the rifle...I don't want to be THIS guy.

but i digress...the big magnums have their purpose. I likely will never see an animal up close that would require one. I have no intention of hunting anything larger than mule deer, and if i DO get to go after moose, i'll do it with a bow anyway.

i must say too...I really, i mean REALLY enjoyed shooting my uncle's Sako 300 Win Mag...that thing is a thumper, but it's recoil is VERY tame. I like that caliber a lot and if Marlin had offered the X7 series in the 300WM, i would have bought that over the .308

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #6 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

the irony........now thats funny, i don't care who you are, lol

"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor."

post #7 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

I thought the .270 Winchester had already made the .30 and under magnums obsolete?
post #8 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My preference is a 6.5 Swede....but just about any 6.5 cartridge will do the job.

All the downrange energy of the .308, without the recoil. Seem's like a pretty simple choice.

SW
post #9 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hey if you can't handle the recoil or are afraid of it then shoot smaller calibers. It is tiresome to have the same people spouting their dislike of the bigger calibers. We have infinite choices so let's just get along!

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #10 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Banned

I only really like magnums .33 caliber and up. For needs less than that I'm a standard cartridge guy mainly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page