Trade or Sell - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Trade or Sell

I have a question for all of the guys that buy and sell guns all the time. I have a bunch of older rifles and shotguns that I'm pretty sure aren't worth a whole lot of money. I also have two barely used handguns that should fetch a decent price. I was looking at getting rid of them and picking up something else.

I really don't want to deal with selling them out right, but I will if it is going to put a reasonably higher percentage of cash in my pocket.

So my question is do you think it's worth selling instead of trading and what do you estimate the percentage difference to be?

I was thinking of doing this at Grice Gun shop (assuming they take trades) if anyone has experience dealing with them.

I am going to try and get a list together of everything I am going to sell and possibly put it in the for sale section.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 12:01 PM

You will make out a lot better selling them privately. It may take a little longer than selling them to a shop but if you have the time you won't be sorry.
Dogface likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 12:13 PM

Yeah, try and sell privately. Seems like Guns at Auctions go for a premium price too. By the way, if you take them to Grice`s, take a couple Tubes of Preparation H with You, You`re gonna need it !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 12:16 PM
The Man

I have traded a couple of guns, one at a local dealer and one at Cabelas, and I took a beating both times. It was worth it to me at the time, because I didn't care for the ones I was getting rid of, they weren't valuable pieces, and I needed the ones I was buying asap for upcoming hunts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks, thats what I was figuring. Does anyone know if you have to go through a dealer to sell rifles and shotguns? If not is it still a good idea?

Thanks
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 12:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Gun shops around home here are like car dealerships give you next to nothing for a cash offer or trade. Sell them privately as mentioned above, you would come out ahead vs dealing with a buy, sell, trade gun shop.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 12:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Start by posting them here never know might sell. Also, if you are on facebook, there are a lot of groups that are dedicated to buying and selling rifles...its against FB policy but if the group is marked private its harder to get the group shut down. I see a ton of guns go through there. I actually bought a TC encore barrel on a facebook group.

Trade ins at a store you will take a bath. They are looking to resell so cant give you top dollar then ask top dollar but they still are a huge ripoff on values
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 12:35 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

A dealer will make you an insulting offer. Like $200 for a gun they will sell fir $700. But, it's a lot quicker and easier.
quackmaster4 likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 12:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'd sell them privately, I've sold quite a few on here, I've also sold some on other more broad forums, handgun and rifle both in state and shipped out. I've also bought several, just bought an M&P Shield 9 from out of state and received it at the FFL last Saturday.
If you sell a rifle or shotgun within Pa to a Pa resident you don't need to go thru any FFL, that includes shipping them too. If you ship a long gun out of state like on gunbroker or a forum then they need to be received by an FFL, none needed on your end. All handguns in or out of state need to go to an FFL for the transfer only on the receiving side. The seller pays the receiving transfer fees.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI

Last edited by tundragriz; 12-29-2017 at 12:42 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks that's what I was looking for.

So If I sell a handgun to someone across the state I just send it to an FFL and they take care of everything? I just have to pay the fee?

Oh, and when does the money change hands?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page