Bullet Weight for the Creedmoor - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bullet Weight for the Creedmoor

I know, I know....not another Creedmoor thread!!!!

Anyway, what do you think the ideal weight is for deer hunting with this round? I was thinking the 130 grain would be a nice compromise between weight and velocity. Would you go down to 120 with good bullets? Like Barnes Triple Shocks? The SD of the 120s is .246, which is greater than the 150 grain .308 bullet....and almost the same as the 165 grain .308 bullet.

120 just seems light to me. I used that in my 25-06 and use 150-180 in my 30 caliber rifles. It's a new diameter to me, so I have to get in a new way of thinking.

I love velocity and hydrostatic shock. But I also must have an exit wound and a bullet that can plow through bone or whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:31 PM
The Man

I have 2 friends with the Creedmoor. They both say 140s shoot better than the lighter bullets. I was shooting with one today and he was unhappy with the groups he was getting with 123s. BTW they are both shooting Savages.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

The biggest advantage the 6.5 bore has is its sectional density so the 140gr weight range is ideal for most game. I personally would reccomend the Hornady 143gr Precision Hunters, while I haven't actually gotten to use them on game the performance I've seen in recovered bullets from water jugs and the game I've taken with the A-Max and SST bullets shows they should be up to the task.

On the flip side if your a handloader and want to use lighter bullets check out the 122gr Controlled Chaos bullet from Lehigh Defense. I've killed 4 deer with the 30 cal version and the results were impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks. We have the Ruger American Predator. I do hand load and will be using Barnes X (Triple Shocks) for hunting. It looks like they don't offer a 140 in the X bullet. I guess that's their long range target load in this chambering. I'll have to peruse the other 140 grain options from other manufacturers.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 10:51 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOL View Post
Thanks. We have the Ruger American Predator. I do hand load and will be using Barnes X (Triple Shocks) for hunting. It looks like they don't offer a 140 in the X bullet. I guess that's their long range target load in this chambering. I'll have to peruse the other 140 grain options from other manufacturers.
The reason for that is the length, a 140gr copper bullet would be to long for the twist so the 120gr would be standard. Really it comes down to fragmenting bullets vs deep penetrating bullets, while the Barnes is lighter it retains almost all of its weight thereby allowing it to penetrate deeper. The 140gr bullets are typically ballistic tipped lead bullets so they shed some of their weight in the animal reducing penetration but increasing the wounding track.

Basically long story short either will work fine for deer sized game.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use the 150 grain X bullet in my 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 300 Weatherby Mag. All pass-throughs so far. So, I guess the 130 grain X sounds like a winner.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 12:25 PM
dce
Sage

Not a creedmoor but I've been loading 130gr ttsx with 48.5gr of varget for my son the last two years.He's killed a bunch of deer with that load from 10 yards to 238 yards.Most dropped in their tracks but none made it more than 30 yards or so.Every one was an exit except one this year that busted the front shoulder of a deer,traveled through the entire deer including the hindquarter and lodged under the skin.
nomad_archer likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Not a creedmoor but I've been loading 130gr ttsx with 48.5gr of varget for my son the last two years.
What round is that?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:44 PM
The Man

I would think it depended on the twist. I'm chambering up a 260 AI with a 8 twist so I can shoot the larger vld's.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:58 PM

I shoot 130gr Accubonds, they work well even hammering through shoulder bone

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page