.35 Rem 760 problems - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

.35 Rem 760 problems

Long story short my grandfather handed me down his .35 Rem 760 when I was 13 or 14 and let me tell ya I have MANY memories of hunting with it.. well missing is more like...? It has a FEW scratches on it from me being young and bullheaded and not listening to my dad, nothing real bad though. Anyway as I got older (in my mid 20's i think) the gun started meaning alot more to me than I could ever imagine so I put it in the gun safe and that's where it's been till now.
I would like to hunt with it again but I'm having a jamming issue with the factory Remington 200gr core-loks. They shoot fine and the gun ejects the casing as it should, everything is nice and smooth as it should be.
My issue is, if I have one in the chamber and I DO NOT fire that round it gets jammed everytime. I have to pull pretty hard to get it to eject the unspent round.
I have a box of 200gr Hornady Lever Evolution's and it cycles them smooth as butter.
Anyone else have issues with the factory 200gr core-loks in their 760 .35's?

Thanks guys,
Buddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Could the barrel need a good scrubbin
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Dang... I forgot to mention that I did gave it a real good cleaning before sighting back in and even after and still have the same result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 09:40 AM
The Man

Sounds like the chamber it self has something in it. If its that old good chance it has. To try and explain my point I only have bolt actions. After cleaning the barrel I have what they call a bore mop on a small rod. Bought them from Sinclair ( now Brownells ) that I would run up in to chamber after barrel cleaning to remove anything. Now a pump is a different animal don't know what they have to do that with but maybe try Midway. The worst thing is maybe a thin layer of rust hope it isn't but the age of it don't rule it out since a pump is hard to clean. Sorry I cant help anymore but there is something there causing your issue. There is a few on here that is pretty harp that could probably help you more. Tony 300 Whby could probably give you some help.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 11:46 AM

You have a good history with the gun working before - check.
Another brand of ammo works fine - check.
It's been thoroughly cleaned - check.

I would try a different lot of Remington ammo or even some Federal or even Remington 180 grains instead of the 200 grain load you have been having trouble with. What is the overall cartridge length of that bad ammo - is it in spec? 35 Remington Nominal Overall length is 2.525 in (64.1 mm)

Do you have any friends or acquaintances with another 35 in which you can check to see if that batch of Remington ammo behaves the same in another gun?

oh, and when you finally get the un-fired cartridge out - does it have marks on the bullet telling you it is jamming into the rifling? A sure sign of too long overall length.

Big LSWC's rule

Last edited by Macs' Mountain; 12-19-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: add one more sentance
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs' Mountain View Post
You have a good history with the gun working before - check.
Another brand of ammo works fine - check.
It's been thoroughly cleaned - check.

I would try a different lot of Remington ammo or even some Federal or even Remington 180 grains instead of the 200 grain load you have been having trouble with. What is the overall cartridge length of that bad ammo - is it in spec? 35 Remington Nominal Overall length is 2.525 in (64.1 mm)

Do you have any friends or acquaintances with another 35 in which you can check to see if that batch of Remington behaves the same in another gun?

oh, and when you finally get the un-fired cartridge out - does it have marks on the bullet telling you it is jamming into the rifling? A sure sign of too long overall length.
I'll check the overall length on the ammo and I may see if I can get my hands on some Federal ammo or some rem 180's IF I can find any?..I do have a friend with a .35 to check with also.

Thanks for the reply's fellas, I'll report back what I find out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

I've had some ejection and failure to feed from the magazine tube issues with the Remington 200 gr. ammo before in a Marlin 336 once I switched to the Hornady it's been back to flawless function......Could it be the Remington brass??
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 06:24 PM
The Man

Sounds very possible.257.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 06:26 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bswope View Post
Long story short my grandfather handed me down his .35 Rem 760 when I was 13 or 14 and let me tell ya I have MANY memories of hunting with it.. well missing is more like...? It has a FEW scratches on it from me being young and bullheaded and not listening to my dad, nothing real bad though. Anyway as I got older (in my mid 20's i think) the gun started meaning alot more to me than I could ever imagine so I put it in the gun safe and that's where it's been till now.
I would like to hunt with it again but I'm having a jamming issue with the factory Remington 200gr core-loks. They shoot fine and the gun ejects the casing as it should, everything is nice and smooth as it should be.
My issue is, if I have one in the chamber and I DO NOT fire that round it gets jammed everytime. I have to pull pretty hard to get it to eject the unspent round.
I have a box of 200gr Hornady Lever Evolution's and it cycles them smooth as butter.
Anyone else have issues with the factory 200gr core-loks in their 760 .35's?

Thanks guys,
Buddy
Could it be possible that you are usin reloads?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Part of the Community

You said it had a good cleaning. Did you drop the trigger assembly out and give it a good cleaning along with the inside of the receiver? If it was a chamber issue I would think you would see some sign of it on a fired case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page