6.5 Creedmoor - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

6.5 Creedmoor

Anyone have one of these?- How do you like it?- I got my son one of these for Christmas.- It's a Ruger American Predator.

The last time we were at the range, we had all my hunting rifles out.- 300 Weatherby Mag, 300 Winchester Mag, 7mm Remington Mag, 30-06,- etc... all in either Weatherby or Sako.- My son said that we have all big, heavy guns that are really loud and kick a lot.- Why not get a more nimble rifle that's more pleasant to shoot at the range?- Good point.- -Also, cost to shoot.- -Even though I hand load, the 300 Weatherby eats 88.5 grains of RL22 per shot.- So it's not cheap.

I can't wait to get this one to the range.- I think I'll buy two boxes of cheap factory ammo to start.- Then I'll get dies and bullets.- Thinking of a 127 grain Barnes Triple Shock.- RL17 or IMR4350 will push that bullet to around 2900.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 06:31 AM

[QUOTE

I can't wait to get this one to the range.- I think I'll buy two boxes of cheap factory ammo to start.- Then I'll get dies and bullets.- Thinking of a 127 grain Barnes Triple Shock.- RL17 or IMR4350 will push that bullet to around 2900.[/QUOTE]

You should have bought 2.It sounds like this one is for you.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
You should have bought 2.It sounds like this one is for you.
Sharing is caring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 02:46 PM
The Man

You start with this sweet little caliber you will sell those cannons . Recoil can sure hinder shooting ability. I am not in the least knocking heavy calibers everyone's choice of enjoyment but they are not needed to insure a kill. 6.5 offers so many bullets I know its hard to choose from. From my experience with the barns and swifts I had a bad copper fouling issue on a rifle with a custom barrel. It could of been just mine though try and see. Hornady has avery nice selection of vld's giving a higher BC. Best of luck to you!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 06:41 PM

I have the same gun. Get yourself some H4350 and 140gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets and you are set.
outofstater likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:02 PM

Bought one for my son for xmas too. We'll see how it goes.
outofstater likes this.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 08:24 PM

If you look in this same forum you will see another post with quite a bit of reloading development and impression on this exact gun. I followed it pretty religiously when I got mine and started loading for it. The one negative with this gun is the stock as that is where they cut corners to keep the price down. The stock flexes quite a bit which makes the gun inconsistent. Now inconsistent is a concept based on what you are doing with it and what you expect out of it. My definition is that it would not always shoot the same groups. Excellent groups none the less but one day my load would shoot half inch or better and another that same load would only do about an inch. No matter what I have shot whether handloads or factory loads ever shot over about 1.25" groups and every factory load I shot was sub moa. I have 2 friends with the same results with factory ammo. Now if you really want to play around cheaply check out the suppressors at HB Tactical for about $80 they make them caliber specific and that suppressor will bring the groups in tighter and take the recoil on that 6.5 down to about a 223. My friend in Texas is using nothing but factory ammo and that suppressor and typically shooting about 1/2 groups with anything he tries. Bottom line is that this gun flat out shoots for the money. I got mine for $400 and was the best $400 gun I ever bought.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 08:32 PM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

I have a few I use Hornaday 129 SP BT for deer 34 Grains of 748 Win Shoots around 3/4 " at 100 only shot one deer with it and drooped on the spot . I tried the 120 SST they shoot great but didn't perform well on deer IMO .
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:12 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post
I have a few I use Hornaday 129 SP BT for deer 34 Grains of 748 Win Shoots around 3/4 " at 100 only shot one deer with it and drooped on the spot . I tried the 120 SST they shoot great but didn't perform well on deer IMO .

I use 748 in my 223, haven't heard many using it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:13 PM
The Man

BTW, what model is a good deal for a factory 6.5 Creedmore?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page