6.5 Creedmoor for deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

6.5 Creedmoor for deer

So I think I just found my new rifle. As a lefty that really likes wood stocks my choices seem to get smaller and smaller every year. I was initially planning on a browning x-bolt in 7mm-08 when I stumbled on to the Savage 10/110 BA STEALTH LH. There is a lot that I like about the rifle namly the accu-trigger, adjustable stock, and pistol grip. All of those things agree very well with me. I am short and have short arms so most factory rifles has a LOP that are stretching it or boarderline and if I add too many layers the rifles plain dont fit anymore. This rifle gives me everything I want. I am not tacticool kinda guy but I am really digging this rifle. So what are your thoughts on a 6.5 creedmoor for deer? Are there other applications where this caliber is a good choice? I will be reloading so ammo avaliability isn't much of a concern. I figure the 7mm-08 in an xbolt will still happen eventually but it is just getting pushed out a few years. If what I have seen with LH guns in calibers that I like, the production life may not be terrible long for this rifle.

Link to the rifle:
https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/BAStealthLH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 11:33 PM
The Man

Any 6.5 would be great for deer hunting. The creedmore is sure popular. I'm currently building a 260 AI. for deer hunting.
nomad_archer likes this.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 01:19 AM

Holy crap!! What could possibly be the concerns about the 6.5 Creedmore with a deer? I have shot a 6.5x55 for deer off and on for more than 30 years. I know guys that have shot moose with a 6.5x55. The Creedmore could be one of the best all around cartridges ever invented. If you reload why the concern? Plenty of bullets available and some of the best ballistics ever.
Dogface and outofstater like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 07:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
The more I read about 6.5 Creedmore the more I like about it! A lot bigger grain bullet then say a 243 offers. Besides the name Creedmore is cool
outofstater and nomad_archer like this.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonfoust View Post
Holy crap!! What could possibly be the concerns about the 6.5 Creedmore with a deer? I have shot a 6.5x55 for deer off and on for more than 30 years. I know guys that have shot moose with a 6.5x55. The Creedmore could be one of the best all around cartridges ever invented. If you reload why the concern? Plenty of bullets available and some of the best ballistics ever.
Concerns... I dont know that I have concerns but rather a lack of experience with anything other than 30-06 and .300 win mag. The more I read about the 6.5cm everything sounds great but I just wasnt sure because I didn't know anyone with first hand experience with the caliber. I do at this point think it is a done deal on the caliber and rifle if I can fine one local to handle before I buy.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
Concerns... I dont know that I have concerns but rather a lack of experience with anything other than 30-06 and .300 win mag. The more I read about the 6.5cm everything sounds great but I just wasnt sure because I didn't know anyone with first hand experience with the caliber. I do at this point think it is a done deal on the caliber and rifle if I can fine one local to handle before I buy.
Gotcha. As long as you handload it's got to be a great cartridge to mess around with. I don't have experience with the Creedmore, but quite a few of the other 6.5's. Ballistically great. Only problem I could see is that it will limit you to handloading, but as long as you go in knowing that and are comfortable with it that's not a drawback.
nomad_archer likes this.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It should work okay on deer as long as you limit your shots to within 1,000 yards.

Last edited by Springer Rage; 12-17-2017 at 11:49 AM.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:20 AM
The Man

I think the big thing is the 6.5 , 26 caliber has been over looked foe so many years. Partly the most popular as could be was the 264 Win. mag. Now how many owns it or knew someone that has? Not many huh!, I knew one guy. The 264 mag was considered by many as a barrel burner and got left behind, and too bad. Heck every rifle I have is considered a barrel burner due to I like high velocity and push my equipment to a safe but accurate load. Many rifles I have found shoot the best when it close to there peek point. But the average hunter can have this , sight it in for deer season, use during hunting season, back in the safe to next year, and can last for 3 generations. I think also the 7 mag. could be part of the 264 mag. loosing popularity. I am glad to see the 6.5 gaining attention now its such a wonderful caliber especially now with the bullet selection out there like with the vld's. I have had a 260 for years and sad to say Remington quit production of there own caliber in many rifles. I'm currently building a 260 AI wiith a fast 8 twist to shoot the larger vld's. The 260 is based off of the 243 case that of course came from the 308 case, how could anyone argue against the case. Another impressive caliber would be a 6.5 Laupa. I built a 6 MM Laupa by necking the 6.5 down to a 6MM on a 8 twist. I have same vel. as a 243 with less powder causing less chamber pressure. I took it out doe hunting this year and the 105 A-max totally flattened a nice doe. I would say the 6.5 in any thing created today. factory or wildcat would be a top choice for anything Pa. woods have to offer.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:46 AM

I think a 6.5 is almost perfect deer cartridge. That being said, if you're using this for deer, you realize that this rifle is almost 10lbs without a scope. If you're into shooting 1000yards at the range I think this is a cool rifle, but if you're looking for something to carry around the woods...this ain't it.

Reading your post, I can tell you that my wife just bought a Xbolt Micro Midas in 7mm-08 a few months ago and it is a heck of a gun. With your LOP issues I really could not recommend anything better than the Micro Midas. It has a short LOP and comes with spacers to adjust as needed. Really a nice hunting rifle.
nomad_archer likes this.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 11:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
So what are your thoughts on a 6.5 creedmoor for deer?
Use a bullet designed for what you are intending to shoot (in this case deer) and the creedmoor will produce the same results as any other comparable cartridge.

257 Roberts-.257 diameter, 120gr @ 2800fps
6.5 Creedmoor-.264 diameter, 130gr @ 2900fps
270 Winchester-.277 diameter, 130gr @ 3000fps
7-08 Remington-.284 diameter, 140gr @ 2900fps

At normal hunting distances the performance on a deer will be unnoticeable between cartridges with similar bullet diameters, bullet weights, and velocities.

Good luck, Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page