.17 or 22lr - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

.17 or 22lr

So I can't decide which to go with a .17 or 22lr? I will primarily use this gun for less expensive target practice. Shooting the .300 mag or 30-06 "for fun" gets a bit expensive even though I reload for both of those calibers. I also would like to use the gun for small game and also eventually teaching my girls how to shoot. Although they may get their own guns when that time comes. What say you and why? Brand recommendations are also welcome. I am a lefty so if it is a bolt action, I will be looking for one in LH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 09:45 AM

Everyone should own a .22 LR and shoot a thousand rounds offhand before they touch a larger caliber. Just my opinion. Not 100%, I'm not a "gun guy" by any means, but I think 22 ammo is much cheaper while the 17 will get you into some varmint and predator hunting. My 22 may be my favorite gun and is deadly on squirrels and rabbits out to 50 yards. I have a 22 mag as well but it blows those little critters up pretty bad.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk yinzer View Post
Everyone should own a .22 LR and shoot a thousand rounds offhand before they touch a larger caliber. Just my opinion. Not 100%, I'm not a "gun guy" by any means, but I think 22 ammo is much cheaper while the 17 will get you into some varmint and predator hunting. My 22 may be my favorite gun and is deadly on squirrels and rabbits out to 50 yards. I have a 22 mag as well but it blows those little critters up pretty bad.
Good point on the cost of ammo. 50 .17hmr are like $13. 50 22 lr are like $3-$4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 12:42 PM

Vote for the 22.

I upgraded to the 22 mag and was really disappointed how badly it blew up squirrels. I've since gone back to the LR for bushytails. Might not have the yardage, but I won't loose half a squirrel when I'm off a bit. Also, ammo is less. You can burn through a box of 22mag(17hmr) fast. A brick goes a lot further.

Can't go wrong with a Savage. I've been looking at possibly buying a CZ, but how many 22's does one person need. Wait, dumb question. My 22 mag is just a plain jane Savage and it's a tack driver out to 100yrds.
nomad_archer likes this.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 12:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'd go .22 for sure
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

22 and shoot the heck out of it. If down the line you want a little gun that will reach out a little further get the .17.

Now that semi's are ok for small game look at the ruger 10/22 or the marlins. They are fun to shoot.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPJAW View Post
Vote for the 22.

I upgraded to the 22 mag and was really disappointed how badly it blew up squirrels. I've since gone back to the LR for bushytails. Might not have the yardage, but I won't loose half a squirrel when I'm off a bit. Also, ammo is less. You can burn through a box of 22mag(17hmr) fast. A brick goes a lot further.

Can't go wrong with a Savage. I've been looking at possibly buying a CZ, but how many 22's does one person need. Wait, dumb question. My 22 mag is just a plain jane Savage and it's a tack driver out to 100yrds.
Thats kind of what I wanted to here. I was planning on using it for bushytails and just general practice. I have been eyeing up the savage A-22 (semi) since it has the accu-trigger and is under $300. Both are good things. Being a lefty, if I went a left handed action I usually need to order it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 03:26 PM
The Man

22 LR without any hesitation.

There are plenty of quality 22's out there and I would hesitate to recommend one brand over another but I will recommend quality rifles over cheaper rifles. Quality rifles will usually appreciate and hold their value. Cheaper rifles will usually depreciate.
nomad_archer likes this.

Last edited by Dogface; 12-12-2017 at 03:31 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 03:28 PM

Allow me to break it down a little further. By small game I assume you mean squirrels, rabbits, something you're wanting to eat. In that case go with a .22LR.

I own both and both are fun to shoot. No recoil, great for beginners.

17 HMR is a great round for groundhogs, varmints, and longer range shooting(out to 300 yards). It's more expensive to shoot than the .22, but also inexpensive compared to most centerfire rifle calibers. It's too much gun for squirrels, rabbits, etc... if you have any intention of eating them.

.22's of course are great. Everyone should own one IMO. Ammo is the cheapest around. Greater selection of guns available. Will not overly damage small game animals. The only downside is that your range in generally limited to 50-75yards.
nomad_archer likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
Allow me to break it down a little further. By small game I assume you mean squirrels, rabbits, something you're wanting to eat. In that case go with a .22LR.

I own both and both are fun to shoot. No recoil, great for beginners.

17 HMR is a great round for groundhogs, varmints, and longer range shooting(out to 300 yards). It's more expensive to shoot than the .22, but also inexpensive compared to most centerfire rifle calibers. It's too much gun for squirrels, rabbits, etc... if you have any intention of eating them.

.22's of course are great. Everyone should own one IMO. Ammo is the cheapest around. Greater selection of guns available. Will not overly damage small game animals. The only downside is that your range in generally limited to 50-75yards.
Thanks. I have every intention of eating any small game I choose to shoot. So sounds like the 22lr it is. It's amazing the number of rifles available.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page