Marlin Basix Trigger - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Marlin Basix Trigger

Need alittle help. Can't take the trigger any longer. I know guys work over stock triggers but I wanted to go to after market. So far this is my problem??? Got trigger from Basix, only took a couple days, GREAT.It's a MAR-1. To get it nice and light around 2lbs. the safety fires off when moved to fire mode. 2nd. at 2lb. you can't take bolt out???. So called Basix and they sent me another (nice). Now they also said on phone call bend safety to hit notch in trigger better, (WRONG) didn't do it... 2nd. trigger is in gun safety works after alittle modification but still can't get bolt out. I'm shootin gun this week while thinkin what I'll do. Need help from you guys in the know...later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Marlin Basix Trigger

Welcome to the wonderful world of parts made to the exacting specification of "somewhere close"!

I'll try to explain what may be going on the best I can.

Here is the pre-2005 factory trigger. I don't have one of the RB, but they work the same.

The blue is the safety lug on the trigger.

The surface of the safety lever marked red is the surface that contacts the lug in the safe position.

The surface marked in yellow is the area the lug must be able to clear and travel to fire and move far enough to contact and force the sear down enough to remove the bolt. That is accomplished via the WOP spring contacting the shoulder on the sear visible to the right of the lug on the trigger. When you slowly pull the trigger all the way back you'll feel the initial resistance of the WOP/trigger reset spring then the resistance of the sear reset spring as it depresses the sear.

Clear as mud yet?

If you remove the bolt look in the bolt handle cut in the receiver as you pull the trigger. You will see or should see the sear move down to or slightly below the bolt race.

Just as a guess without having the club on the bench to see whats taking place I'd say the "yellow" surface is preventing the lug from moving its full length of travel and not allowing the trigger to force the sear down enough or something is preventing the sear from dropping all the way, enough to fire, but not enough to release the bolt. In the case of the lug clearance to the yellow surface a little more clearance is better than not enough.

If in fact its a clearance issue, "carefully " using a file or Dremel remove a small amount, a few thousandths then try it, remove a bit more, try it and etc.

If its a sear travel problem then you need to disassemble it and find whats causing it, dirt, crud, misplaced crowbar ....

Either way its an easy fix.

Oh, the "somewhere close" parts? The safety lever is stamped steel, so its not of the ordinary for the dimensions to vary slightly between parts, so I doubt the the RB trigger is causing you grief. I've installed a dozen or so, a mix of both the MAR-1 and MAR-2 triggers. Mostly I run into safety engagement issues.

The short explanation!

Bill
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Re: Marlin Basix Trigger

Thank you WildBill for your intrest I P M'ed you Thanks....later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page