Help With New Deer Rifle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Help With New Deer Rifle

I知 looking for a new deer rifle and need suggestions on caliber and perhaps make and model.

Right now nearly all of my hunting (deer, bear, elk) is done with my .300 Ultra Mag Model 70 Winchester. It痴 a great gun in an awesome cartridge but it can get messy with deer if you hit bone...

I知 looking for something a little tamer but not too tame. I知 leaning towards a .308 or 7mm-08. I also have a .300 Savage in Model 99 Savage and it is a great round as well but I知 looking for a little more thump.

I値l be up front about this right now...I am not interested in a 30-06. Nothing against it at all but I致e always wanted to be a little different and literally every other hunter in the woods has an 06. It痴 a great round and has killed many a deer but I知 just not into it.

So what do you think? Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 10:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

7-08, 308, in one of the cheap Savage or Ruger bolt actions.
Not pretty guns but shoot well enough for deer hunting, actually will shoot better than most shooting positions presented in the field.
Or go with the darling of the decade the 6.5 Creedmore, maybe a bit light for 500lb bears though. But as always shot placement is everything. Use the 300 UM for elk and bear.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 10:28 PM

One of these days I'm going to break down and buy a new rifle. Maybe not anytime soon, but I've been reading up in the meantime. I've also looked into the .308 and 7mm-08. Both are very capable catridges and will do what you need it to do. That said, after plenty of reading, research, and having shot all three calibers, the next rifle I buy will be a 6.5 Creedmoor. More than enough thump for medium-sized game, and flies very flat and accurate. Production ammo is getting more readily available as well.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 11:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

As an all around rifle, 308 is hard to beat. I feel confident with my 16.5 inch 308 out to 5-600 yards on deer. You have to have a rangefinder and either a reticle or dials to be effective as it is not exactly flat shooting. 260, 6.5 creed, or 7-80 would be better if long range is your deal. Also could go 25-06 or my choice, 257 weatherby. There are tons of options and all have their place.
Biggest questions are what range you plan to shoot and do you reload?
outofstater likes this.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 11:12 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Do you handload?
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 11:34 PM
Banned

.280 Remington I had one of these in an abolt medallion. It was a shooter!!! Needed $ so I sold it . Great whitetail round. I would get another one!
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 02:20 AM

One can never gro wrong with a good old fashion Remington pump action 30/06...this time tested duo is just about the perfect big game PA combo....
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 04:33 AM

Personally I have been eyeing up a wood stocked browning x-bolt in 7mm-08 that seems like the next one for me.
Marcus99 likes this.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 04:51 AM
The Man

My dad uses a Remington 700 SPS in 7mm-08. We tend to be heavier bullet weight guys so I load 162 grain Hornady Interlocks for him. It flat out hammers everything that he shoots with it. Of all the deer he's taken with it, only one has even taken a step afterward. We have never recovered a bullet regardless of the angle of the shot. I would not hesitate to shoot a bear or elk with that round. A .308 in that rifle would do the same. It's really a matter of personal preference. Both of those cartridges are popular, with cheap and easy to obtain ammo, something which will be more and more of a consideration as time goes on.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 07:25 AM
Part of the Community

Ever think about going down to a 25/06? great round for deer and ground hogs , throw in coyote , lots of talk on other sites about hunters using the round for elk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page