Can sight in @50yds for 100yds? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Can sight in @50yds for 100yds?

My range only has 50yd capability. How do I sight in new Savage 17hmr for 100yds? If it is zeroed at 50yds, where will it be at 100yds?

You just shot an unarmed man. Well he should have armed himself!!! Clint Eastwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 04:12 PM

Re: Can sight in @50yds for 100yds?

Hmmmmm??? Anybody have a ballistics chart for a 17HMR? That should help you and give you a good general idea.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 04:56 PM
TEE

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

as usual, i'm gonna break from convention.

What's your intended purpose with a zero at 100 yards?

if it target shooting, you'd likely already know the answer that to know EXACTLY where you are hitting at 100 yards, you have to SHOOT at 100 yards. No .308 competitor would show up at a 600 yard match after only ever having shot at 100 and 200 yards. Knowing your ballistics tables WILL get you CLOSE, but not dead on. too much room for error.

Likewise, if your hunting or hitting groundhog sized targets at that range, then the hit is more important that which freckle you hit. groundhogs have a 3" kill zone in the chest, with a 1" brain, but to be honest, anything hitting dead center, from the lower chest al the way up thru the head will kill it (with the .17HMR)

So...if targets - then go out and shoot at 100 to know exactly. if hunting, then your goal is MPBR. Sighting a little high at 50 will put you in a 3" kill zone holding a dead aim all the way out to 150 or so...

Besides...i really doubt you or very many other people on this board can guess yardage so well that they can tell the difference between 70-100-125 yards. so put the math of ballistics in your favor, know your limits and KISS.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Sage

What is it some of you guys don't like about Cisco? Do you know something about him the rest of us don't? He asked a simple question and clearly stated he does not have a 100 yard range available and needs to use a 50 uard range to sight in for 100 yards. Judging from the data posted by Tee it appears if he sights in a one inch high at 50 yards he should be on at 100. BTW, there are these new fangled devices called range finders, some folks buy them so tey don't have to guess yardage.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Gee agreeing with John S, guy asked a simple question!

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...allistics.aspx

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

The biggest problem you are oging to run into is scope height off the bore. The difference between 50, 75, and 100 yards can vary a good bit(a few inches) depending on the height of your scope off the bore. This is more pronounced at the shorter distances. How close is your scope to your bore?? You have to know that distance to get a reasonable answer.

Just do a gogle search on "ballistic calculators". Find the velocity off the box and find the BC of the bullet. Sometimes that can be difficult in RF, but finding the velocity is not too tough. Just approximate the BC as .125 and punch the number in the ballistic calculator. That will give you a pretty good idea.

I use the Ballistic calculator on the "big game" page. It is simple to use. When you google calculators it will show up for you. Tom.

http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 10:09 PM

I don't know where you are in Allegheny county but a game land near Wexford has a 100 yard range.Game land 203 RT 228.If you live near the Natrona Heights area you can join our sportsmans club.I think we go to 200 yards.25,50,100,150 and 200 I think.You may be able to sneak out another 50 if you use the edge of the woods.

Bob Seger,till it shines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page