.358 Winchester Ammo - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

.358 Winchester Ammo

Does anyone know of a store where I can purchase .358 Winchester ammo (200 grain)? I tried special-ordering them from a couple local gun stores, and they're telling me "Winchester is out of stock and only making them sporadically"...this doesn't make much sense, I know Browning is still making a lever-action rifle in .358 Winchester. I tried an internet search and was able to find what look like reloads, but I don't think this will work, since they require a signature on delivery, and all the adults in my house work during delivery hours. I'm willing to drive up to 100 miles to pick them up, I live in Valley Forge. Thanks!

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 11:52 AM

Re: .358 Winchester Ammo

.358 Win ammo isnt common, but its around. Any Cabelas
or Bass Pro shops in your area? There are a couple of
shops in the Clarion area that should have it, but they
are a long way from VF.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Midway has it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?pr...isting-_-323184

I've ordered ammo last year from them, I don't recall signing for it?

A quick phone call to Cabels or probass would let you know without all that driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Sage

By "sporadically", it means that 358 ammo is a seasonal product and it is probably only made once per year?

Most ammo manufacturers do that with ammo that typically doesn't sell as well as more common ammo, like 243, 308, 30-06, etc. Since it isn't being made on a more regular basis, ya gotta get it when it is available and in stock, generally prior to big game seasons in the fall.

It's a fairly long list: 358 Win., 250 Savage, 32 Special, 303 British, 7mm Mauser and so on.

Surely there will still be some around throughout the year, left over from the previous run, but you have to find out where. Call shops in your area to find out which ones, if any, still have some on hand.

And as Harry noted, some online ammo sources may still have some in stock, so call or email them.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:18 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
By "sporadically", it means that 358 ammo is a seasonal product and it is probably only made once per year?
And the price will reflect it....If you keep an eye on Gunbroker, you can often find sellers who will have two or three boxes up for auction in one lot...If enough folks are sleeping, you might get a deal..Last year I got two boxes of old Winchester 250 gr. Silvertips for $55 plus shipping..You just have to watch for this stuff.....Other than that ...Reload!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Sage

Yep. It's why 30-30 Core Lokts are usually on sale each fall for around $8 per box and 32 Special ammo will cost more than twice that much.

Our local Walmart once had a huge mess of Core Lokt ammo out each fall, for many years. The more "popular" stuff was usually offered at a good price, while all the "oddball" ammo wasn't. Same display of Remington ammo, far different pricing for those cartridges that sell far less quantities each year.

On the bright side, at least they had lots of 303, 7mm, 45-70, 32 Spl. and many other choices each fall. Haven't seen that at our Walmart in some time.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Banned

It costs a lot more to shoot a .32 Special than a .30-30. It cost even more to shoot .30 Remington or a .303 Savage. All that expense and the performance between them all is the same.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Its an old Model 99, I've had it for 35 years, it shoots great. I've had quite a few offers to sell it, but can't part with it; I may change my thinking soon, between the price & availability of shells....

I did stop in Cabelas in Hamburg a couple times during my travels, and they didn't have any.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep looking. I bought stuff from Midway before & had good luck, I may give them a try. And yes Ken, reloading DOES sound like the way to go.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Uncle, at least save your brass for the time when you might want to reload.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
Its an old Model 99, I've had it for 35 years, it shoots great. I've had quite a few offers to sell it, but can't part with it; I may change my thinking soon, between the price & availability of shells....
No reason to sell it..Buy a box of ammo, sight the rifle in, and you should be set for a few years unless you like to blaze away at running deer..I have three 358 rifles and have been on the same box of ammo for years...It's not a gun that I am inclined to use for shooting at cans !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page