Youth Model shotgun good or bad for a child - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By dce

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Question Youth Model shotgun good or bad for a child

Youth model shotguns. Pro and Con

The gun has to fit that's for sure.. However I remember I had a short barreled J C Higgins 20 gauge single shot break open shotgun... I was in 8th grade.. I was going to buy a regular size 20 gauge shotgun. sales clerk was just about ready to sale it to me.. Another customer behind me spoke up and said ... That boy needs a youth model 20 gauge so it will fit him... So because of this customers input I purchased a $25 youth model 20 gauge .. The barrel must have been at most 24 inches.. It was choked FULL... I mean it shot extra tight too...I once killed a crow with it at 45-50 yards up in the sky.. So I did miss a lot of grouse, rabbits, woodcock, , Now here is what the real problem was... When I used DUCK loads High Brass the small 20 gauge shotgun kicked like a mule....It kicked so much that I would get a blood blister on my trigger finger... So yes I needed a gun that fit me but I sure didn't need one that light weight... It could actually give a kid a flinch...It was like someone hit you with a sledge hammer in the shoulder.. LOL

In this day and age.. Beware of the used second hand youth single shot break open shotgun for your child... They are just to light when you go to heavy loads.. They are choked like what appeared to be Xtra Full... I like now that many of the youth pumps have an adult stock that comes with the youth gun... That is a step in the right direction... I would have been better off as a kid to own a 410 Mossberg with a poly choke. My rabbit kills would have been far greater,

So beware of the youth model single shot light weight break open guns for you children and or grandchildren... Nice that there are all kind of shells out there now too... Ones that spread and have a light load ... Or better yet best to reload your childs shells with red dot powder..

To this day I can still remember the blood blisters I would get.. Of course to use gloves would help but it was truly the kick of that little light weight shotgun that was just to much. I sold that gun and wouldn't allow my kids to use it... Foster slugs in it really kicked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 PM

Is this an opinion or a question?

I for one believe that anyone, young or old, should have a gun that fits more than anything. I still have my first shotgun, Win M120 youth 20ga. For the first 5 years it was the only gun I used. Small game, doves and Foster slugs for deer. It's still my dedicated bunny gun, if I brave the briars. Sadly, it does not fit me as well as it used to. I touch my thumb to my nose when I shoulder it now, but that and the 20" barrel are great when you're kicking a brush pile.

Some people don't need a youth model. My cousin was fine with a full size shotgun at 12, he's a big dude. My retired mother on the other hand still uses a Ruger youth model 44mag for a deer gun. The only thing that stinks about buying a gun for a 12yo is that they will outgrow it in a year or two.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
The Man

There is pro and con on everything in life... Yes the stock has to fit.. but one has to be wise when you allow kids to use high brass in a gun that only weight a few pounds. actually maybe a pump and or bolt action would give it more added weight... The ones that kick like a mule are the small single shot single open action. That shotgun of mine must have only weight a few pounds...So it's an opinion not a question..

Yes later on in life when I used it to shoot a chuck out back it can hit you in the nose. LOL LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:23 PM
dce
Sage

I bought my son a 5.5 lb Tri star semi when he was 8.It fit him good and being gas-operated,he wasn't bothered by the recoil,even with 3"turkey loads.I sold it last year and bought him him two franchi affinities,one is 20 and one in 12ga.They're light,recoil operated semi's but with a good kickeeze pad,neither bother him,even with heavy loads.If you're gonna shoot a shotgun well,it has to fit you and most decent shotguns today come with shim kits.I think he shoots the 20ga better because it's lighter.I had him using regular high brass shells for pheasants this year and he started to use the 12 ga because he didn't think the 20 ga killed them as good.He didn't shoot that quite as good so I bought him a box of 3" mags for the 20ga and he's been using them with good results.Fit and lightweight are both important for kids.A gas operated semi fixes the recoil issue.
uncle buck and kudu58 like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 AM

When my boy was 11 I bought him and 870 20 ga and put a youth stock on it until he grew into the regular stock. Only problem he had was he could not rack a fast 2nd shot from the shoulder. He had to drop it from his shoulder and rack the next round. He had no problem taking bunnies, squirrels, and a couple turkey with it in MO. Even shot sporting clays on a range I worked on. We just had him shoot singles. When hunting quail over dogs, we just backed him up knowing he was not going to get a 2nd shot off quick. Once he got older and bigger, I put the original butt stock on and sold the youth stock

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 06:31 PM

You’re right on about the single shot break open guns. Those things kick worse than a mule. A 3 inch magnum will leave a mark on you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page