Public SGL Range experience - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Public SGL Range experience

went out yesterday to launch a new set of loads for my Marlin XS7 .308 and found a couple good promising loads.

I'm not done yet and found no pressure signs and plan to work up a little more. I'll post the pics of my 3 best targets below but now...the meat of this story

As i'm moving from one powder load into the next, i took note of a woman accompanying a younger boy who loaded up and shot a semi auto 22. they had some pretty high end hearing protection and she did not look uncomfortable at all, i just remember thinking how cool it was that a mom was bringing her son to the range. Then i heard the fourth shot in a string...something in me said "go talk to them" and I did.

I cautioned against breaking range rules on the public range as the penalties and fines are stiff. they questioned me about the "new" sign advising there are new rules about needing a valid hunting license or range use license and I told them this has been in effect for a couple months. Since he was ten years old, he needed neither, but he did need to be accompanied by an adult that complied with the rules. Introduced myself, exchanged names, and took a couple minutes to go over safety items. I also gave the young man a target and my staple gun during a range "clear" to ensure he was shooting at paper targets and not rocks and spent shot shell casings Told them if anyone asks, they are with me, and I watched him shoot a bit.

They were very thankful and after spending a few more minutes with them, decided to offer the kid a chance to shoot the .308 - he had a strong interest in everything military/police and his dream is to go into FBI. The minute I told him that the .308 is the primary sniper rifle for military's all over the world, his eyes got to be the size of dinner plates...I was now the licensed adult accompanying this young man, and he was a total sponge. I gave them a brief hard time about the rules again and then brought him over to my rifle. I fired two of the last 3 rounds in what has turned out to be a possible 'honey' load for my rifle, and saved the last for him.

He took note of the recoil against my large frame and was a little nervous about it - I told him he doesn't have to shoot it if he don't want to, but if he feels comfortable with it, he's more than welcome to send the last round down range...

I showed him how to hold it on the bipod with a squeeze bag, let him dry fire it a couple times. I told him if he flinches the trigger i would not let him shoot...his form was very good and we concentrated on breathing right for a minute and I asked him one last time "you wanna shoot it?" he gave a nervous "yeah...yes i do."

Popped the round into the magazine well for him, let him chamber it and he nestled into the stock, got a good sight picture, and pulled his head back from the scope a little with his finger along the side of the stock...good man. I told him not to be scared of the scope - "there's not a man at this range who hasn't taken a scope to the head once in his life and if he tells you he hasn't, he's lying...just make the picture fill the scope, and pull the stock into your shoulder firmly. When you are ready, take a couple deep breaths, place finger on the trigger, exhale slow, stop, squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze...." BOOM. he immediately settled back into the stock and said "I HIT IT!" and looked over to me. I thought his face was gonna split in half from his smile. He's hooked. I looked over to his mom who was right behind us and said "you are screwed. He likes big guns now "

it was a great experience for him. I took a pic of the target and then let him keep it. My shots are a half to 3/4" high, for a dead hold at 200 yards. In his mind, at this stage, he thinks i missed the bullseye...but his shot is dead center. And i'm certain he's telling all his buds he shot a "sniper rifle" yesterday and hit the bullseye on the first shot.

I wish this was with my kid...but it was great anyway...Nicks' not quite big enough to take the 308 - once in a while it still stings me too and I don't want to wear him out yet. He's getting his first cricket in september for his birthday.

I swapped contact info with them, got her in touch with my wife to do a home party for our jewlery business (ALWAYS working the biz for my wife LOL) and told her any time she needs someone to take the little guy shooting, I can get my oldest and him together and would love to help coach him on the firing line.

that load is 165gr SGK BTSP, winnie brass, cci primers and 43.5gr RL15.
42 gr RL15 produced a 2 hole 1/4" group at 50 - i have no pic of this target yet, it's in my backpack at home.

I took pics of the Varget loads - 42.5 and 43 were the most promising so far, but neither is tight enough for me.

Wife was a little miffed that i was off "messing around with someone else's kid at the range" while my own kids were at the pool...she didn't understand that I didn't go there to shoot with the rugrat...he just happened to be there and I saw an opportunity to coach an impressionable sponge in a positive way...dind't matter though, i'm still in the doghouse today...hopefully some of you guys understand though LOL

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Re: Public SGL Range experience

Your wife needs to relax and realize that the little bit of time you took to help a perfect stranger could influence him for the rest of his life. Part of being a good father is always behaving like a role model, even when your own children are not present. Congrats and kudos to you. May you reap many rewards for your kindness.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:45 PM

cool story!! good job....ive had enough BAD experiences there that i am trying not to go back...problem is its 15mins down the road, and free..being home nov-april, its tough to pay yearly dues and not get to use it much lol...but, after my last experience i just might

your in the dog house because you got another womans number!

i wont lie, all the while reading the post i figured you lined up a date...then you mentioned your oldest kid and wife..lol..

you still did something great...and thats awesome..

work up your varget loads...seems a great many 308s like 44-46grs...off the top of my head i think mine is eating 45.5gr over a 165gr accubond..and thats in nosler brass which seems to be a heavier case with less capacity..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 PM

Hats off to you for doing the right thing....Took my son out two weeks ago for the exact same thing to the SGL range. Spent most of the time coaching/working on handling and range safety. He is very comfortable with shooting handguns, shot guns and rifles. We spent a few hours at the pistol range. There were a few others shooting at the benches and were impressed how he would look to his right and left after loading up and was constantly checking the others shooters.

He enjoys shooting the Ruger Single Six, and had a blast with the .40 S&W Glock.

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
your in the dog house because you got another womans number!

i wont lie, all the while reading the post i figured you lined up a date...then you mentioned your oldest kid and wife..lol..
One of the fringe benefits of having a home jewelry business is that it's my job to talk to the purdy ones, get their names, numbers, emails, AAAAAND i get to check out their "neck lines" to compliment a pretty necklace every once in a while LOL

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayd4wg
One of the fringe benefits of having a home jewelry business is that it's my job to talk to the purdy ones, get their names, numbers, emails, AAAAAND i get to check out their "neck lines" to compliment a pretty necklace every once in a while LOL
Hopefully, your NOT the one modeling the jewelry...

Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

BTDT...that makes the shows kinda fun LOL...chicks dig a "sensitive" man, and they LOVE that i'm so involved with her business. It's a comedic twist to the usual home parties that works VERY well for us.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Tell me about it! I get all kinds of slack for doning the apron and playing chef!

But I just love being in the kitchen or next to the grill!

Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 PM
The Man

Dingo iffin you wanted a purdy necklace to match your apron I might know a guy that has a jewelry company.

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thank you for helping a youngster learn how to shoot safely and to obey the range rules. His mother is to be commended for taking to the range but she also should have obeyed the rules. Glad you saved them a fine.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page