Resident LTCF, now moved out of state - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Resident LTCF, now moved out of state

I've scoured the State Police websites, and other handgun law websites but found no info to answer my question.

I have a PA Resident LTCF. It's date is good to 2020. In Nov I moved over the border to MD. Is my LTCF still valid in PA until it expires? MD is a state that has LTCF on the books, but will not issue- so I am unable to get a MD LTCF which is required by PA for PA to issue me a non-resident LTCF.

I'd still like to carry when I'm in PA, but have yet to find a solution as a MD resident. There are some really crappy things about living in MD...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 10:32 AM
Regular Visitor

That is tricky. You should be able to find your answer here. Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum

I know that a PA LTCF is good until it expires or revoked. There is no difference in appearance between a non-resident and resident.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Dougherty View Post
That is tricky. You should be able to find your answer here. Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum

I know that a PA LTCF is good until it expires or revoked. There is no difference in appearance between a non-resident and resident.
That's exactly the reasoning I've been going with. It was issued according to the law, and not yet expired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The law also states that you have to be a resident of PA. You are no longer a resident of PA you are a resident of MD, your LCTF is not valid, same as your drivers lic. except you get a short grace period for the DL.

Carrying Firearms in Pennsylvania
Quote:
Individuals who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania County Sheriff’s office along with the required fee. A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury.
A copy of a application, line 32 https://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3880

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
The law also states that you have to be a resident of PA. You are no longer a resident of PA you are a resident of MD, your LCTF is not valid, same as your drivers lic. except you get a short grace period for the DL.

Carrying Firearms in Pennsylvania

A copy of a application, line 32 https://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3880
The way I read all the wording is that you have have to be a PA Resident to be issued a resident LTCF; which I was. I haven't found anything that says the LTCF is no longer valid if you change residency; whether it's to a county other than where issued or a whole nother state.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy-06 View Post
The way I read all the wording is that you have have to be a PA Resident to be issued a resident LTCF; which I was. I haven't found anything that says the LTCF is no longer valid if you change residency; whether it's to a county other than where issued or a whole nother state.
You also do not have to change your address when you move. The only reason you would want to is to get your notification of expiration when the sheriff sends it out.

That is why I said the answer was tricky. There are few lawyers on the site I posted that can help.
Paddy-06 likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 02:06 PM

dude, bottom line, why the heck did you move to The Peoples Republic of Maryland?! The last time I move back to PA from TN many years ago, I was simply searching for a job closer to PA. My wife who was home on maternity leave did my job hunting. I told her, under no circumstances, will we ever live in: MD,NJ,NY,MA etc. I told her don't even bother looking at jobs there!
Paddy-06 likes this.

Big LSWC's rule
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A license to carry is valid until expired or revoked. Moving to another state does not invalidate the license.

If you are a PA resident, you cannot carry on anything other than a PA license to carry. In other words, you could not be a PA resident and carry on another states license. But this does not apply to you.

In order to get a PA resident license to carry, you must be a resident of PA. Once you are issued the license, it’s good until expired or revoked. Moving to another state doesn’t matter. This is what applies to you.
Paddy-06 likes this.

Steve
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 05:37 PM
Sage

However, I do not believe MD accepts PAs LTC.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 05:56 PM

the only LTCF Maryland recognizes is Marylands.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page