Predator Gun: Two Options - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Predator Gun: Two Options

I got as a present 2 years ago a used (but great condition) T/C Encore in .223. While I've only killed one fox with it, it seems to be a little overkill for fur.

I really want a .17 caliber cartridge. I don't know much about the MACH IV, the Bumble Bee, the Ackley, etc. but I want it to be centerfire and capable of any predator I might call in. I'm thinking fireball is the way to go. I've gotten nothing but good reports on it. Opinions here?

Now, I have two options. I'm in love with the Rem. Model SEVEN Predator and the .17 fireball option in this gun has recently been discontinued. While stores still have them now, I don't know how long/hard it will be to find this gun in the future in the .17 I want and if I want it, I need to start saving! lol.

Now, I could sell the Encore to fund this purchase. What is the going price for the Encore I described? I've never been crazy about the barrel switching, but I do want an inline. I think a T/C Triumph would have been more up my alley.

Or, my other option is to buy a .17 fireball barrel for the Encore. Does anyone know where they sell this?

Which do you all think is my better option? Selling Encore to get the SEVEN? Keeping Encore and buying SEVEN? Getting a .17 barrel for Encore?

Help me decide.

IF YOU SEND ME A PM, I WON'T GET IT USUALLY UNLESS I SEND ONE FIRST. REPLY & TELL ME TO PM YOU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Predator Gun: Two Options

Both options are great options. You can't go wrong either way. I really like my Encore's. I havae 3 frames and several barrels. As well as Contender's. Not sure why you don't like switching barrels. But to each his own. And I can't say too much. I also have three Encore frames.

MGM makes a great special order barrel for TC rifles. Both Encore and Contender. That is a great place to order one. And they make a goodin. All of the MGM barrels I have are great shooters.

The Model 7 is also a great choice. So there is no bad decision. It is really what ever you prefer. However if you are foxing then you are probably doing all your hunting less than 200 yards. The Fireball is also a little large for that. a 17 Ackley Hornet would be a real dandy. And real fur friendly.

MGM mames a bunch of custom cartridge chamberings as well. So look up their web site. And if you go Encore then heck-go exotic and have fun with it. I like the 19 Badger myself!! How about a 20 Hornet?? Or a 19 Calhoon?? As long as you reload exotics are not that bad. Just a few more bucks up front for exotic dies-then about the same cost from there on!! And all the 20's and subs are fox fur friendly. Tom.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Check this out: http://www.eabco.com. They have all kinds of barrels for the Encore and are not very expensive. I have dealt with them, good service.

benchrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 AM

I've heard nothing but good things about the 17 Fireball. My only concern would be it fading away like some of the other wildcat calibers, then trying to get ammo.
I'd definitely try to find a barrel for your Encore.
Just to throw this out but my favorite coyote/fox combo (other than my 12ga) is the 22 Hornet. Enough to kill a coyote out past 100yds but won't blow up a fox.
I have a CZ 527 American in 22 Hornet.
[img][/img]

Never Misses
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 12:51 AM

After hunting groundhogs for years with most standard small calibers including .17 HMR,.22 Hornet, .222, .223 and .243, I bought a Remington Model 700 varmint heavy barrel in .17 fireball 3 or 4 years ago when Cabelas had them on sale to introduce the caliber and absolutely love it for groundhogs and fox. It the funnest caliber I've ever shot. The Remington in .17 Fireball is incredibly accurate (my shots are usually less than 300 yds. here in Pa.) and drops them in their tracks, is very fur-friendly and has no noticeable recoil. Doesn't have a loud crack. You do have to pay attention to wind with the Fireball. The Remington is great for sit-and-shoot but for spot-and-stalk it's like lugging around a barbell. I do all my deer hunting with the Encore (.260 Rem.) and did use my .223 rifle barrel, .22 Hornet pistol barrel, and .17 HMR pistol barrel for groundhogs before switching to the Fireball. So I decided to try to get a .17 Fireball barrel for it. My .17 HMR barrel is an MGM barrel and it shoots MOA at 100 yds off the bench and might shoot better if I shot better. I have a 6-18 rifle scope on it. So I'm a big MGM fan. Just when I was about to order a Fireball barrel from MGM, I found one for sale on one of the forums and bought it. This summer I'm splitting time between both Fireballs depending on terrain I'm hunting. If I could keep only one it would be the Encore.

So if you like the Encore, you'll love it in .17 Fireball because is so compact to carry and accurate. I'd check out MGM for the barrel. They are pricey but everyone that I know that has one of their barrels has had great success with them. You could also check out Gunbroker.com for a Model 700 (I'd get standard contour barrel) or a Model 7. Check the bigger gun shops for these in .17 Fireball as well because they may one sitting on the shelf.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page