5Likes
  • 2 Post By Stuffer
  • 1 Post By Dogface
  • 1 Post By Trout 48
  • 1 Post By 59Willys

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Model 340 help

I just got back my Savage model 340 that I sold to my buddy 25 yrs. ago. He had the stock off of it and did some awesome carving work to it. I put new scope on it yesterday. Sighting it in today and it wants to shoot all around the dot,. My Question.. on the model 340 did they have a floating barrel that you can slide a dollar bill under or was they tight in the stock? Iím wondering if my buddy put it back together to tight and itís not floating. Thanks for help and Reading,, Stuffer

Concept Archery Shooter.....99% Letoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 02:45 PM
The Man

What caliber? If it is 30-30 you may be limited by the quality of the ammo.

I worked on one many years ago. I believe there was pressure on the barrel. Try putting a couple of layers of a business card between the forearm tip and the barrel.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 03:40 PM
Sage

I've had one (used) in 22 Hornet since the mid 60s. Mine has a sheet metal band around the barrel that attaches thru the bottom of the stock fore end. So no, the barrel would not be "floated".

Never any accuracy problems with mine, although the "side mount" system for scoping them, is kinda goofy and prone to issues. Mine came with a Weaver K2.5 on it, shot pretty well. Got a different ring mount (the top half) so I could use a more powerful scope and wound up just putting the K2.5 back on. Could never get it to shoot consistent groups with the bigger scope.

Been so long since I've seen one in 30-30, no idea if they also have that barrel band? Although a cousin has a much newer one in 222 and I don't recall it having the band.

>Just looked on Gunbroker and they have them listed in 222, 225 and 30-30. All shown in the pics, have the same barrel band mine does.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Last edited by DennyF; 11-21-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Yes itís a 30/30 and it does have the metal band around the barrel thatís held with a bolt through the forearm. I got about a 2Ē group at 100 yards with it today. I put a Simmons 3x9x32 on it yesterday. I actually sold the gun for $100 to my good friend 25 years ago. He now lives in New Mexico and he left it to me in his Will. My lovely wife sent him a plane ticket in August and he came in for our 25th wedding anniversary and he brought the gun with him and gave it back to me. So I got it back before he even passed away, and I havenít shot it for 25 yrs. until today.. I never knew he was coming in or bringing the gun. It was a shocker...
bigguy54 and Hungry Horse like this.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 04:29 PM
The Man

Two inches with a 30-30 at 100 yards is not bad.
willyp likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 05:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Two inches with one type of ammo. Try some different ammo and see what it does. Two inches really isn't that bad.
willyp likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Oh I forgot... shooting Hornady 150 grainers out of it.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 08:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
I have model 320c Savage in 30-30. I think 340 is a newer model, but all most the same. 2 inch groups at 100 is pretty darn good,for any 30-30. I use 150 grain . Try using other mfg ammo to see what works the best for your gun, anything under 2 inch, be happy.
willyp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page