Need HELP with my 6.5x55 Encore!!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Need HELP with my 6.5x55 Encore!!!!

Put a pot on........this is gonna be long! (Deep Breath) Ok....so I always wanted a 6.5x55 swede. I decided on buying a barrel for my TC Encore to keep things simple and because I DO love shooting the Encores. I bought a barrel from MGM (match grade machine) 25", heavy barrel.....just beautiful. I worked up loads with three different powders (RL22, IMR 4350 and H4198), two bullets (Hornady 140gr interlock and 139 SST). To shorten the story, I finally found that the gun seemed to liek the 4350 with the flat base bullets! Great! I shot 4 loads of IMR4350 41.5,41.7,41.4 and 42 grs. They all shot really well! One shot about 1.5" but three shot around and inch!! YEAH! well, that was about 3 or 4 weeks ago, I was happy.....I found the powder/bullet combo now ill just tweak it. So, My dad loads 5 each at 41.5, 42 and 43grs, OAL 3.025" This was the starting OAL. i just got back from the range and I am SO FRUSTRATED!!!!
Heres what happened: I shot 5 shots with the one I knew to be very good, the 41.5gr. The first shot was HIGH, The second came down at lkeast 1.5", the 3,4,5th shots came down another inch and were about a 2" group!!! YUCK! Shot the other two loads...........SAME THING! First shot high (higher because it was a hotter load), 2'nd shot came down and the 3,4,5'th shots were actually pretty nice although I didnt go up to the target , Id say an inch maybe 1.25". third load 43grs, same thing first shot up high and I shot another two and they were about 2" lower and actually grouped.
So, the gun is "stringing" or whatever you want to call it TODAY!! Today? NOT the last time I shot it, not at all, it shot all the shots in the same area, some good groups others poorly but all in the same area. TODAY......it was doing the above!!!!
SO, what changed???? WHAT CHANGED????? OAL was the same, same powder, bullet,etc. Heres what changed. The last time I shot, it was a COOLER (maybe 60degrees), dryer (no humidity) day........TODAY was almost 80 and very very humid this evening!!! COULD THIS BE THE CULPRIT???? Could it be something with my plastic encore stock? I didnt tighten or loosen anything, all the same. I am cleaning barrel between every 5 shots. The heavy barrel felt MUCH HOTTER today!
I know the barrel shoots good because Id finally found the load and NOW? I dont know what to do?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Need HELP with my 6.5x55 Encore!!!!

I would try letting it cool more between shots. A hot humid day will hold the heat longer.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Ive got $700 invested in barrel, scope and reloading components and cant use it. I hope you guys can help me figure this out. I am taking this gun to Kansas first week of December.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

rfktrman......what good is a gun that shoots 6" groups when its hot out? I hunt Utah every year and its sometimes 80 plus degrees!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

could by barrel screw be too tight?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned

did you set up any different on your two different trips to the range? by that i am asking if you put any additional pressure on the barrel via any shooting devices, lead sled etc the second time that you did not the first time. i only ask because i have a bolt gun in 6.5 rem mag that if i hold down on the barrel in front of the scope it makes my shots string and i have figured out that there must be a spot in the barrel channel that when i put any additional pressure down on the barrel it touches it and makes my shots string. this probably will not help, but try to think if you held the gun any differently. if you did not, try a powder that is not as heat sensitive, if you google heat sensitive gun powder it may give you some info. try this link http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...itivity-31096/ hope this helps
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

thanks erin......I dont even touch the gun, barely. It lays on sand bags and I just let the pad touch my shloulder and try not to lay cheek on it too hard. No, I didnt change anything there
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Im going to keep the barrel dirty for my next session and try to shoot in the morning when its cool to see if that fixes it
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Here is a couple things for you to do.

First just step back and take a deep breath. And take your time-and work through this logically.

What type of front rest are you using?? Are you using the same front rest you used last time??

The reason I ask is that Encore's can be a bit finicky on where you place the forearm on the tripod. or whatever you are shooting for a front rest. I have found it is best to place your rifle as close to the action as you possibly can where the rifle touches the front rest. I push the tripod back so far that on my 6.5X284 bull barrel that I have-it is front heavy and will fall forward if I do not hold it.

Almost all problems I have seen with Encore's have been with the forearm. So place as little pressure on it as possible. Personally for accuracy the first thing I do is bed the entire forearm to the barrel. And then torque your screws to a constant 1nch/lbs. of torque. But then that is not only for Encore's. That is for any action screw on any type rifle.

Go back to the range with your best load again. And pay particular attention to your form, and how you place the rifle on the front rest. Then do it exactly the same every time. I would bet that will alleviate alot of your trouble right up front. If not then bed that forearm. It is easy to do. It took me about 15 minutes, and I am not mechanical at all. Just be sure to use ample release agent.

Alot of guys like to float that front forearm. But there really is no real way to completely float the forearm. That is why I bed mine solid. Plus it is considerably easier.

Try this first. I would bet something is different in how you shot the rifle in relation to your forearm. Tom.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Tom.......First, THANK YOU for your advice. I really appreciate it. I cant remember how I was laying the gun on the bags the last time but this time i do remember. I had it cradled in a v type sand bag. Maybe last time it was just laying on top of a bag?? I dunno? I will try your method of laying the gun on the bags as far BACK as I can, not on the forend. I am also going to try different OAL's but that wasnt the problem today. SOMETHING was different!!????????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page