your feelings of laying gun on bench and walking up to target - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Question your feelings of laying gun on bench and walking up to target

I truly hate to shoot my guns in at the clubs. I often wonder at the public range.. Do you leave your gun on the bench or do you carry it on your back to check the targets? Heard many stories of guns being stolen ... I know when I belonged to a club I use to leave my gun lay on the bench... I would keep the ones I didn't shoot in the vehicle until I was done with one..

I got me some PVC and made a folding target... I just like to shoot my guns in without any kind of problems from people.. I have had people at the club I belonged too step back with hand guns and shoot from behind me while I was sitting at the next bench.. I actually quit the club for that and now have a kind land owner who allows me to use his farm...

I was at the Carlisle PGL range.. There was this grandfather shooting in his 22 rifle.. He had what appeared to be his grandson standing next to the target marking every shot he made with a pencil.. Me and other were really upset with the guy. However he looked half nuts to begin with... Could you imagine if one of the 22 rimfire even knocked off a piece of stone in the bank and his grandson could have received a bad wound from that.. That was the last time I went out there to shoot.. That had to be like 20 years ago...

I understand now that if your at a PGC range and there are a few shooters there you have to designate someone as the range officer.. Hear the PGC wardens will fine everyone there if someone is not designated.??????????????/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 01:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've been shooting at PGC ranges for a long, long time and I've never had a WCO ask who was the range officer or cite anyone.

While code says when one or more persons are using the range, a range officer will be chosen, there is no fine or penalty associated with this, so good luck.
willyp likes this.

Steve
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 05:39 AM

I suppose that people have stolen guns while the shooter is down-range looking at his target, but I'd have to believe it would take quite a lot of nerve for anyone to try a stunt like that, and the beating that they would receive if caught wouldn't justify the theft...but who knows how some people think????? I was always under the impression "CLEAR" meant NOBODY should be handling any gun whatsoever until everyone agreed that "LINE'S HOT". I have never seen anyone carry a firearm down-range before. I joined a gun club about 10 years ago, so maybe things have changed at the PGC ranges?

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 06:31 AM

people have been shot and killed at SGL ranges. Far too many freaks, Rambo wannabes and would be Gangstas frequent public ranges these days. Less chance of them shooting at a private rod and gun range. and absolutely NO chance of them shooting at my personal range here on the farm.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 06:37 AM

I belong to a private club and normally have the range to myself when I go but I carry my gun with me to check the target. If I have multiple guns out I take one down to the target with a round in my hand. If somebody tries to snatch my guns they're getting held at gunpoint real quick.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 06:37 AM
The Man

My local rifle range is pretty well regulated. That being said, there are always idiots around somewhere.

I will not live in fear of what "might" happen. But still, you need to be observant of what's going on around you. If you have a spotting scope, you don't have to walk out to check your targets. Just shoot. When you go out to take them down, place your firearms in the vehicle first, or at least turn around and see what's going on behind you a time or two. If someone REALLY wants to steal something, most of the time you will not stop them. Stealing rifles at a range, though it happens, is a pretty infrequent occurrence.

Even more so, shoot with a buddy or relative. That way one of you will always be with the rifles to keep an eye on them.
uncle buck, octagon and BillHjr like this.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 07:06 AM

The thought has crossed my mind that someone could walk off with my guns while I am downrange but as other's have said you would have to be pretty ballsy to do something like that. I still leave them on the bench and I don't have any problem with it, none of my guns are irreplaceable. I'm insured
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 07:43 AM

What troubles me when i am at my club shooting alone is that some jackwagon will come along, grab up my rifle, chamber a round and shoot me while I am changing targets. I know, I know that feeling is not rational thinking but my days of taking things for granted have been beat into submission by stuff that actually did happen and was not supposed to happen.....
So I always remove the bolt and put it in my pocket when I leave the bench to so change targets. If I am shooting an AR I break open the gun and while I know this will not stop someone who is familiar with the rifle the ammo is locked in a storage container on the bench when I am not in the area as well.
Ya' I know I am probably over-reacting but anyone can walk into our club from the surrounding woods - they do not necessarily need to come through the locked gate.

uncle buck, bigguy54 and octagon like this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad View Post
What troubles me when i am at my club shooting alone is that some jackwagon will come along, grab up my rifle, chamber a round and shoot me while I am changing targets. I know, I know that feeling is not rational thinking but my days of taking things for granted have been beat into submission by stuff that actually did happen and was not supposed to happen.....
So I always remove the bolt and put it in my pocket when I leave the bench to so change targets. If I am shooting an AR I break open the gun and while I know this will not stop someone who is familiar with the rifle the ammo is locked in a storage container on the bench when I am not in the area as well.
Ya' I know I am probably over-reacting but anyone can walk into our club from the surrounding woods - they do not necessarily need to come through the locked gate.

It actually is rational. That very thing happened at a range in Carlisle a few years ago.
uncle buck and Hungry Horse like this.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 08:02 AM

Also, remember Chris Kyle?
uncle buck likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page