Gun Value - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Gun Value

This past weekend my dad brought home a gun that his father (my grandfather) had given him about 2 years ago. Well my grandfather passed away in May so he brought it home. The gun is a model 64 in .32 winchester special. The gun is in good condition and has been shot less than 20 times. Any idea how much this gun is worth? I am not interested in selling it I just want to know what it is worth.

Pennsylvania State University
Forest Ecosystems Management 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Gun Value

Winchester 64's are worth some big time money if everything is in place. Can't give you a price but I'd check out some of the auction sights to get a "general" idea remembering that on those sights folk are mighty "proud" of their rifles so prices tend to run high. Pics would help. Am assuming a pre '64. Deluxe or standard? A lot to consider including the caliber.

Muab

"There is no District 12"
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:51 PM

What Muab Dib said. Nice guns with a hefty pricetag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 05:03 PM

i didnt even know they made a 64 in 32 special, is this a possible typo? if not I would bet its worth huge money

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700varmint
i didnt even know they made a 64 in 32 special, is this a possible typo? if not I would bet its worth huge money

They made them. I passed one up at Cabelas several years ago for $375. I don't know why now.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

Sorry, and I do apologize for being rude. But it is impossible to give any kind of value without at least a dozen detailed pictures of a firearm like this.

The value of a rifle like this is determined strictly by condition, and how close it is to original condition. Without detailed pictures it is 100% impossible to know these things.

I have seen many rifles like this over the years that looked unbelievably nice. Yet were worth no more than a regualr beater because the rifles had been altered. Or re-finished. So those details mut be known in order to value the firearm.

If you are wanting to get a good idea for insurance reasons then it would be best to have it appraised, and I am talking about a written appraiasal. If not then the insurance company will not pay any premium.

Again I am sorry, and don't want to rain on your post. But any number anyone gives you would be wrong without those pictures(at the minimum). Also a serial # would help.

And Moose Hunter is definitely correct. They were available in the 32 Winchester. I saw one the other day. The fellow wanted $1,000 for the rifle. I passed. But it would have been tough to pass on the one he saw for $375?? Tom.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 PM

never too old to learn something new, the 32 must have been a odd caliber chambering since I have never seen or heard of them and I live on the gun auction sites. Thanks for the info.

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

It is the standard edition. It has a peep sight on it that came with it. It is all original.

Pennsylvania State University
Forest Ecosystems Management 2017
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:15 AM
The Man

sent you a PM....
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Sage

Great looking rifles. Always wanted one, but they've appreciated in price to the point I'll probably never own one.

Some years ago a young feller showed up at our club range with one in 30-30 that was in mint condition. Literally. Zero wear anyplace, perfect wood/metal finish. He fired a few shots and plopped it on the bench, went downrange to check his target.

When he came back, another shooter and I chastised him for treating it so poorly. His wife's granny had given it to him, had been gramp's rifle. He had no idea of it's monetary value, until we told him.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page