sighting in a 300 win mag - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

sighting in a 300 win mag

I recently received a Savage 300 win mag and had a leupold scope put on. I took it out to sight it in. First two shots from 200 yards touched about 4 inches high. I lowered the sight and next shot was at 4 o'clock, an inch or two out. Fourth shot was 9 o'clock, two inches out. Then, it looked like a shotgun had hit the target because it was all over the place. Thinking it may be operator error, I changed the target and had somebody else shoot. First shot, dead center. The next three shots, all over the place. I checked all of the bolts on the scope and they were all tight. Each shot was within a minute or two of the next, except when we changed shooters. There was probably 10 minutes when we changed shooters. I have talked to two different people and they said when sighting this gun in, shoot one shot every 5 minutes because the barrel gets too hot. Anyone else hear this or have this problem? It is a sythetic stock and isn't a floating barrel, whcih probably helps to retain the heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:00 PM

Re: sighting in a 300 win mag

I was going to say heat, but to only get ONE shot out of it before it gets erratic...that doesn't sound right. Check all the screws in your scope mounts. if it has sights, try removing the scope, sight it at 25yds with opens, see if it is still erratic. I'm leaning toward the scope or mounts being your issue. I wish you luck

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:01 PM

guess I should read, you did say that you checked the scope bolts/screws.
that leaves the scope itself as the next culprit.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I's say first shooter, the first 4 shots were OK, with second shooter, just the first shot was OK. But, the barrel was still retaining some heat when the second shooter started.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:06 PM

ok, that could make a difference. I had a similar issue last year with my 22-250. it was around 90 degrees outside and after shot 4 or 5 I was VERY erratic. Let it cool for 5 minutes and was good with the next 2, then back to crazy.
the fact that you got FOUR good ones out makes me feel a little better than if you would have only gotten 2 good ones.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:09 PM

your best way to test this would be to shoot one.......cool down for 5 minutes........shoot one..........cool for 5.......continue until you've shot 5 rounds.

if you have a tight group, then heat was apparently affecting your accuracy. If you are still all over the place, you have bigger issues going on. Use a lead sled as well to take out as much human error as possible.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would let it cool too and also check to make sure recoil isn't causing a flinch. While a .300 isn't a brute they do kick.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that I was using a lead sled, so recoil wasn't a problem. I always knew a hot barrel could affect accuracy, but I wasn't expecting it to affect it this much. The other guns I shoot don't have the firepower like the 300 win mag, so I have never seen this problem before. The one buddy I talked to who said to wait 5 minutes between shots said that this gun wasn't meant for target practice. It is a hunting gun and usually/hopefully you aren't taking 5 shots in 5 minutes in the woods.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

Definitely use a lead sled like suggested, eliminating a lot of human error with a sled.

What kind of ammo are you using? hand loads or factory? if hand loads are they hot loads? I tried sighting in my 300 Ultra with Remington Premier loads and I was all over the paper. I then loaded my own with some Barnes TSX and Nosler Partitions and they both solved my erratic issue. I thought the Premier ammo would have been pretty accurate but I sure found out otherwise.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Factory load. Remington 150 grain. But I was thinking of eventually switching to Barnes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page