why keep comparing the 270 and 06 to the magnums? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

why keep comparing the 270 and 06 to the magnums?

i find it somewhat silly that you hear the 270 and 30-06 fans comparing them to the 7mm rem mag and 300 mags.. i continually hear statements like my 270 will do everything a 7mm mag will do ..and its just not true! i love thm all, and all are very good cal. but a 270 and 30-06 are no 7mm mag or 300 mag..i often use the example..when i was in 9th or 10th grade i used to lift weights in the gym with the bigger seniors..they would bench 220lbs which was all the weight there was..so i worked and worked until i could bench 220lbs..my boast was "i can lift as much as they could"...which just wasn't true for while we all were benching 220lbs, some of those older boy's could have benched much more. while you may be able to reach 3000fps with a 140 grain nosler in your 270 win (if your lucky)..YOU WILL NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS REACH 3300fps like the mags!!...a deer will never know the diffrence...true true..but your 270 or 30-06 is not a 7mm mag or a 300 mag the same as my pickup is not the same as a vet... all are very good cal in there place where they should be..no need to apologies for using a 270 or 30-06 very capable...but your only kidding yourself by comparing them...a little more weight..(very little)..and a little more recoil...but if you want a little extra performance it's the price you have to pay...and that my friends "is the rest of the story"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: why keep comparing the 270 and 06 to the magnums?

"Why keep comparing...." I guess 'cause it's fun to argue the merits of one's favorite cartridge. Truth is in real world hunting here in PA not many folk will ever shoot much past 100-200 yds (and that's stretching it) while hunting deer. Unless you're set up to do some "field shooting", under 100 yd. shots are more likely the norm in Penns Woods. All the cartridges you mentioned will fill the bill in that regard. For me, I guess having a 7 or 300 mag to shoot whitetail here in the mountains is a bit like having a Porsche with a speed limit of 55. Certainly nice to have but not necessary. Heck I actually load down my 270 Win and '06's to hunt deer...I like venison.

Muab

"There is no District 12"
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 03:56 PM

took the words out of my mouth Muab Dib. My uncle carries a 300 win mag when we hunt....I always bust on him and ask him if he is expecting to see a buffalo or a 500yd opening in the middle of the woods! when he does shoot a deer with it, I refuse to butcher it for him because there is usually way too much damage to salvage a full quarter, where the shot hit. The super magnum calibers have their place, but I have to agree, it isn't in the PA woods. Not if you like the taste of deer meat! Never been into the "me shoot big gun, so me better hunter" caveman mentality.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 04:08 PM

A "little more recoil"???
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you can't handle the recoil stay away, me I like my .300 even though I do shoot the little ones too.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Shade mt.
GREAT POST! I agree 100%

Magnums equal meat damage???? That is nothing but a bunch of --. Poor bullet choice equals meat damage. I have yet to see any deer shot with any caliber that didnt have meat damage.

Good luck, Tony
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you hit a deer directly in front shoulder with a .300 you will get maximum damage, shoot them behind the shoulder and loss is minimal.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflktrman
If you hit a deer directly in front shoulder with a .300 you will get maximum damage, shoot them behind the shoulder and loss is minimal.
Very true.

If you shoot a deer on the shoulder with a .270 you will get virtually the same meat damage as with a magnum.

Shot placement.

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Guess you just gotta hit'm right 100% of the time and the argument is moot...

Muab

"There is no District 12"
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shade mt
but your only kidding yourself by comparing them...a little more weight..(very little)..and a little more recoil...but if you want a little extra performance it's the price you have to pay...and that my friends "is the rest of the story"
Here's what I got out of your post:

For the of hope getting folks to agree with you, you minimize the negative features of the magnums, and you maximize the positives of them...Your points would be a little more convincing if you were more open minded and not trying to sway everyone to your way of thinking.......The recoil of a magnum is not "just a little more", and in any two "same" rifles, the magnum will weigh more and after a day of carrying one around on a mountain it will seem like a LOT more.....The extra 200-300 fps is useful ONLY on super long shots and there you would still need to know precise distances of your quarry before it would be any use to you. Anyone feeling the need to use, say, a 300 Winchester for common woods shooting in Pa. suffers from a lack of confidence in their own shooting ability to cleanly kill an animal with a lesser cartridge...I call it a crutch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page