New M70 joins the "family" - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

New M70 joins the "family"

Picked up a new Model 70 on Memorial Day weekend. Here's the rifle:

Here it is with it's siblings:

The new rifle is on the top, and it's a 300WSM M70 "Extreme Weather" model. Middle is an M70 Classic (from New Haven), DBM model in .30-06. (That stock is destined to part company with the rifle soon, and those who are looking for M70 DBM mags are going to want to watch the classifieds, as it'll be changed to a floorplate soon, too.) And at the bottom is an M70 Featherweight XTR in .257 Roberts (it was my late grandfather's rifle).

So, I started doing a barrel break in, then got into reloading for it. Been working with 180gr Nosler Accubonds and H4350. Here's my latest results:

63.5gr H4350, 180gr Nosler Accubond:

64.5gr H4350, 180gr Nosler Accubond:

My father purchased an M70 Featherweight in 7mm08 last summer, and it's been shooting similarly.

The FN-made M70 is a pretty nice rifle. Both his and my new rifles are well built and seem to be willing to shoot pretty well.

Can't wait to let the new 300 zap a whitetail!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:12 AM

Re: New M70 joins the "family"

Nice family portrait. I'm a model 70 fan myself.

Rich Deerhunter
Cochranville, PA
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

You can't go wrong w/ the Mod 70.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 PM

Very nice. I wish you the best of luck with it.

Another M70 fan here. I'm been giving it serious thought for a while now if I should get one of the new FN M70. I've so far been hearing nothing, but good things. I've even thought about trying to find a POS abused pre-64 as cheap as I can which is still very difficult in maybe 06 or 270 snd fully restoring it and using it as my primary sporting arm.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

Model 70s are awesome weapons, my only complaint is the fact that the triggers were for the most part horrible. having said that they put the moa trigger in the new ones and that was supposed to have fixed em. beautiful new rifle and good luck with it!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

erinreed,

The New Haven style trigger is a GOOD trigger! You can adjust it easily yourself, and make them a GREAT trigger. I adjusted that 257's trigger from a spongy pull that I'd guess was 6lbs or more to a crisp 3lb (estimated) pull. The "safety" test for a trigger adjustment is to first ensure the rifle is NOT loaded, then work the bolt to c0ck the striker. Close the bolt on an empty chamber, safety OFF, and give the butt of the rifle a firm rap on the floor. If it's too light, the striker will be released. If it's not, it'll hold.

The New Haven style trigger can be adjusted to very, very nice levels with some time and careful work. It's not hard to do.

The MOA trigger from FN is nice. The overtravel is very little, and it breaks nicely out of the box. I have not finished removing the hot glue goop they put over the adjustment screws (the stuff is IN the allen heads of the screws!), so I haven't fiddled with it...yet. I think it can be lightened a touch and cleaned up for overtravel just a little. Considering the groups it's starting to shoot, I'm not terribly worried about it just yet.

I can say that the quality of the FN rifle is apparent. From holding and handling one, it's clear that they are putting the attention into the build of them that was badly lacking in the last years of New Haven production. The bedding in the '06 I have in the picture above was little more than hot glue. I redid it myself with acra-glass, but the stock is just keeping that rifle from being all it can be. It (the stock) will be replaced, along with the magazine setup (since the DBM arrangement it has requires different inletting, so I'll buy the parts to make it a hinged floorplate magazine instead).

The .257 turned in an MOA group last time I benched it, too. They can and do shoot.

More my point here was that the FN rifles really have been made well. Since I got it, I'm often asked about them, and I figured I'd post some thoughts here. Both my dad's FN-made rifle and my own are grouping under an inch with handloads, and are very nicely built.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I agree TDD. The original M70 trigger can be adjusted easily and it can be made both crisp and light.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey in PHX
You can't go wrong w/ the Mod 70.
A true quote!!! I own three.

7X57 Featherweight XTR.
30-06 Model 770.
338 Alaskan Model 70.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page