I have to admit - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I have to admit

I have become a Savage 99/1899 fanatic. I cannot stop buying them. I think they of all rifles in all times were most ahead of their time. Hunters are still hunting with 100 year old 99/1899s every season. Has anyone else been bitten by this bug?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: I have to admit

I have four - 250-3000, 30-30, .308 (2). I had a 300 Sav but was stupid and sold it. The guy didn't like the recoil and called the wife and wanted to sell it back. She didn't tell me for a couple of months. By that time he had sold it. They are great guns and I still look for them.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Has anyone else been bitten by this bug?
Not me, although I've always liked them. Just never got around to having one, yet.

But an amigo of mine in northern PA, now has the "bug". Started out with one really nice older specimen in 30-30 and he's now got two more old ones. Could have even more by now, ain't checked with him lately?

The neatest one I've ever handled, was at a local gun shop years ago: Custom takedown model in 348 Winchester. Fitted wooden case lined in dark green velvet, extra-fancy walnut stocks and gold inlaid engraving. It was made for some business mogul in the 1950s, had the original owner's name engraved on a brass medallion inlaid in the butt stock.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 01:27 AM
The Man

I've got a few

I will agree that the design was way ahead of its time and some of the cartridge designs that they incorporated were as well. I make it a point to hunt with some of them every season, in fact last season my Daughter carried a 99F in .243

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 03:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have one in a 250 Savage that my uncle left me when he passed away. He told me for the last 40 years+ that he wanted me to have that rifle. However I think his eldest son wants it. It is in the eldest son's possession right now. I told him if he wanted to keep it that I would understand. I believe he is going to keep it. I would like to have the rifle. However I want it because it belonged to one of my most favorite persons in this whole world. However if his son decides to keep it I will fully understand. I know what a couple of my fathers rifles mean to me. So we will see. I told him if he wanted to keep it that I would at least like to hunt with it for one season. Even though I do not care much for the cartridge. I would sure enjoy hunting a few days with it. Tom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page