Nosler Ballistic tip Hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Nosler Ballistic tip Hunting

Nosler seems to have reconfigured the NBT and slapped the "Hunting" tag on it. The cutaway bullet picture very closely resembles the Accubond although it doesn't say it's bonded. According to the pictures of mushroomed bullets on the box they seem to hold together very well even at 3,200 fps. I've switched over to this bullet for all my hunting except for things like Moose or Elk. I've done some penetration testing and even the 125 grain .30 seems to hold together and penetrate well. It outpenetrated the 150 grain cup and cores I compared it to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:33 PM
The Man

Re: Nosler Ballistic tip Hunting

I shot two deer with them last year out of my 25-06, in the 100gr flavor. One was at 60 yards, and one was at 260. I had them loaded up with 55gr of RL-22, and was shooting them out of my browning x-bolt wit ha 24 inch barrel. I don't have a chrono, so I have no idea what the actual velocity was, but it should have been somewhere close to 3200. In both cases, I thought I missed the deer. Each ran about 15 yards, stopped, look around and fell over dead. Upon field dressing, the lungs in both deer were trashed, and I found a few pieces of copper jacket shrapnel in the chest cavity. Both deer had a nickel sized exit wound also. You can't ask for much more than that. Vitals destroyed, and a hole on both sides. I think I'll stick with them and see how they keep on performing. The price is right, and the shoot good in my gun. I had heard stories of them comping apart/blowing up but the limited experience I had with them was great.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have 400 old BT's and have yet to shoot them, going to load them in my .270 Model 760. Hope they are accurate for me.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I shoot 140 grainers out of an older Rem 700 BDL 7mm mag. One word--devastating. I only use them for whitetails though. Super accurate to. I've taken probably 15-20 with the BT's. And they hit like a lightning bolt DRT. And they always exit. The newer Rem 700 doesn't liker though. It likes the 162 grain Amax better. I actually took two deer with those bullets and they both blew the insides up, but both times the bullet came apart. Once I found half of it under the far side skin and the other just fragmented into a gazillion pieces. Needless to say I won't try them again. Both deer didnt run far. One ran about 40 yards and one about 20. But I hate butchering and eating them like that.

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Sage

Been killing deer with .257/100gr Btips from a 25-06, since the year they introduced them in that diameter/weight. Zero issues with supposed "blow ups". Most kills were at over 300 yards. It's all I shoot in any one of 3 rifles in that chambering.

Nosler made some changes in jacket thickness and design some years ago, in many of their smaller diameter BT bullets designed for deer-sized game.

They have always clearly identified what each bullet was for in smaller diameters: Varmints or Hunting.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have been shooting the Nosler BT's in a few of my 30-06's for a long time. No need to do a penetration test. Just go pick up a dead deer. For distances from 5 yards to 500 yards. I have shot deer at those distances with the 30-06 cartridge, and the 165 grain BT---dead deer.

They shoot very well for me, and I like the weight of 165 grain. In all but one of my 30-06's I either shoot the Sierra or the Nosler 165 grain bullet. Whichever is more accurate is the choice. And the Nosler shoots better in most of my rifles.

I have heard Nosler has supposedly redisgned this bullet a couple different times. I honestly don't know if that is true or not. I picked up 1,000 five or six years ago when a dealer was going out of business. Those will last me for the rest of my hunting life. But then I shoot cast bullets for practice, not jacketed. Tom.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I'm switching to them for black bear as well. Not the 125's that I'm running now.....Something a bit heavier... not sure what yet?
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Nosler is saying on this chart that they'll hold together and not blow apart.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have been shooting the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips for about 5 years now. They are loaded with Noslers Ballistic Silvertip Bullet. I shoot 168 grain out of my .308 and I have never had a deer take a step yet. They performed so well for me that my dad and uncle switched over to them also. My dad shoots a .06 and a .280 and my uncle shoots a .06 and a .270. I haven't had any pass throughs they always stay inside the deer and the result is devastating. Usually just a bunch of jelly inside them when I field dress them. I like a bullet that doesn't pass through because I beleive it is depositing all of it's energy in the animal, instead of carrying that energy to who knows where once it goes out the opposite side.

Free Madcatter!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Combined-Technology.aspx

It appears to be the same bullet just moly coated.

Free Madcatter!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page