Good handgun for my daughter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good handgun for my daughter

My daughter will turn 21 soon and I promised her a pistol for her birthday. She does want one and even though she has grown up around guns she has not fired many. Safety and concealment are most important. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:36 PM
Sage

.40 S&W, not bad recoil but plenty of impact on the receiving end. Stay away from .22 cal and .380 cal. If you are not worried about recoil problems I would recommend the .45 APC. It all hinges on the training and not giving credibility to the nonsense that a woman needs a pip squeak caliber.
octagon likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 07:57 PM

You'll get a different answer for every person who replies. Some pointers:

1. Stay away from the "mouse" guns. These are a tough way to learn to shoot a pistol correctly

2. Steer clear of the .22's, .32's, etc if at all possible

3. Let her handle as many pistols as need be until she finds the right fit

4. Make sure she has some way to carry it securely(and holstered). Flopping around in a purse, pocket, or tank top is no way to carry.

Hope that helps!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 08:15 PM

I agree with other's...you will get many different opinions. Let her handle different guns and pick the one that she is most comfortable with.

Is this going to be strictly a carry gun? or something to take to the range as well?

I like and agree with many of the choices on that top 10 list that was posted earlier. I would suggest something in either a .380, 9mm, 38spl.

When I worked in a gun shop I found that many women preferred a snubnose revolver. Many women I encountered did not have the hand strength to rack the slide of some of the popular semi-autos. IMO a revolver is a real nice carry gun. It's simple, pull the trigger and it fires...no safety, magazine, jams. Downside is a limited capacity.
octagon, DIYASUB and .257 like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 08:56 PM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

Ruger LC9S My daughter and wife both have one ---- I liked theirs so much I have one too . Like it so much better than my shield and the 9MM is very nice to shoot .
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 11:50 PM

I agree with a .380 or 9mm. I know everybody has an opinion but with today's ammo there is no need to over gun.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 10:57 AM
Frequent Contributor

My sister has a S&W in .38 spc.....It was built specifically for women I think it may be called a Lady Smith?? I think the .38 should be more than manageable with a bit of practice and in my opinion double action revolvers are the most simple functioning guns around
octagon, DIYASUB and blackpowder like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 11:47 AM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

S&W Bodyguard 38 revolver with laser sight. My wife could not work the slid on any auto. With minimal practice she was hitting good with the laser.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Regular Visitor

good

don't go too big, but small guns are not the best for ladies, hand size and strength being factors. She want something she can shoot accurately. Take her to a shop with a good selection and have her handle several or many options, any good gun shop will take time and show her options. My wife has a 9mm witness/PAVONA from EAA. it is made for women. slide is easy to rack. grip size is right for smaller hands. She just stumble into it. That said Ruger, Glock ,S&W and many others make quality handguns that will fill the bill. I think the 9mm or 38 are best options, but I cannot decide that for her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page