357 Over 20 Gauge - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
The Man

357 Over 20 Gauge

Anyone ever heard of this? A friend of mine has one and wanted to use it this season. He had a few months ago a rotary cuff surgery and only feels comfortable shooting it vs. the 2 heavy rifles he has. What would you shoot out of a 357 for deer, and if so is it a legal caliber to hunt big game with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 04:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It is legal in Pa. for deer. Due to the lower power shots must be chosen carefully and at shorter ranges.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 05:17 AM
The Man

Nosler makes a 180 partition in .357 caliber. If I were using the .357 magnum for deer in that rifle, I think I'd have to take a pretty hard look at that bullet and drive it as fast as I accurately could.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 05:20 AM

I'd try the Hornady Leverevolution .357 loads. They were designed to perform well in long guns. Depending on what other calibers he has, he might also check out reduced loads/managed recoil loads like the Hornady Lites in those calibers. I've taken 2 deer with a .357 handgun so it will work for him if he can shoot it accurately.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 07:18 AM

Yeah I would try to use the best ammo that I could find. I hear good things about buffalo bore, I'm sure the hornady leverevoltuion would be good too. Last time I hunted with a .357 I used Federal fusion 158gr hollowpoints. Certainly the most important thing is to keep the shots within a short range.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Sage

Unless you have a strong gun, I would not recommend Buffalo Bore Ammo. . I bought some in .45 Colt to use on a wild boar hunt. I took my brand new Ruger Blackhawk to the range to sight it in. The recoil was so bad that every two shots the cylinder pin would back out. I took the gun to the shop where I bought it and the guy who is an expert on single action revolvers told me it happens all the time with buffalo boar ammo. He put a stronger detent spring in the gun and I went back to the range and had no problems. However, the more I thought about it I didn't want to shoot the ammo, I am not afraid of recoil I just didn't want to beat up my gun for no good reason. I sold the ammo at a discount and went with Lever evolution ammo which is more than enough and never looked back. The Buffalo Boar website has pictures and stories about people who killed Cape Buffalo and Kudu. Deer aren't Cape Buffalo or Kudu, no need for that kind of punishment to hunt deer.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 10-10-2017 at 10:04 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've shot the Buffalo Bore out of my Ruger SP101 in .357 with no issues.....I would think it would be fine in that rifle which I am assuming is a Savage 24 a gun that was also chambered in 30-30
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 02:10 PM
Regular Visitor

If this rifle is a Savage 24 make sure you verify if it's .357 Magnum or .357 MAXIMUM. I have a 357 max and intend to use it on deer this year. Good luck!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 04:36 PM
Part of the Community

I have a Ruger 77/ 357 in a bolt action and I shoot buffalo bore bullets out of it with no problem. I shoot the 158 grain and its a hot load however the Ruger is made for it. My shots are limited where I hunt and 50 yds is about as far as you can see. I also have a t/c in 357 max with a 26 in bbl that I will push a lot farther than 50 yds but unless you hand load its tough to get ammo . In my hand loads I shoot 180 grn Hornady XTP, I'm not sure that factory ammo is produced any more.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks everyone for the input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page