Cheap Guns Are Good Enough - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Cheap Guns Are Good Enough

Cheap Guns Are Good Enough

This is a really good article from one of the best.
Now I do believe you need a gun that won't fall apart, but I really like this read. If you get the chance to watch some of his training videos, theyre great as well.

Putting Resource First
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Sage

Re: Cheap Guns Are Good Enough

The guns he refered to really aren't what I would call "cheap" guns", they were just less expensive than his custom guns. Of course in the situation he described, any gun is better than no gun but if my life might depend on a gun I will not buy junk, which is what I consider a "cheap gun. I don't consider a Ruger a "cheap" gun and you can bet Masaad Ayoob wuld not be carrying a pot metal gun for self defense.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I guess cheap cars, cheap guns, and cheap tools all serve a purpose; so I didn't see anything new or interesting in the ramble. I'd like the address where I can buy a Ruger Mini-14 .223 for a few hundred dollars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 AM

Sooooo he didnt really say much in that rant other than factory guns work? I really dont consider rugers as a cheap gun I guess the rems, savages, winchesters, howa's and all the other factory none custome guns fall into the cheap gun category because he doesnt compare anything factual and uses very little to back up his opinion...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Sage

The test of a "cheap gun" would be to take it to the range and shoot several hundred rounds of ammo through it along side a brand name gun and see which one breaks down. A cheap pot metal revolver next to a S&W, Colt or Ruger, head to head. To be fair, the cheap gun reference I believe was to the peice of crap the woman defended herself with. Ayoob is and excellant marksman, and he has been in firefights as a police officer, and I wouldn't hesitate to use him as an instructor in matters of self defense with a firearm, but he does tend to talk about Ayoob a lot in his articles

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
the cheap gun reference I believe was to the peice of crap the woman defended herself with.
The point I believe he was trying to make was exactly that and it doesnt take a top of the line gun to defend oneself in a serious time of need.

Rugers in the day were and still considered by many are cheap guns, kind of along the lines of what some feel Taurus is.
I paid $200 for my Ruger P89DC brand new (my first handgun when I turned 21)and was told by many that I was crazy and Rugers are junk.
Mini 14's can be bought for around $500 especially 10 years ago

John I believe you said it in a previous response and was acually my point of posting the article, a cheap gun is better than no gun.

Didnt really post this for an argument, just something to think about when someone calls your handgun cheap or junk,
It can still save your life

Putting Resource First
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:59 PM
The Man

The correct word for Ruger would be "inexpensive"...The word "cheap" conjures up thoughts of junky , second rate, and "prone to failure"......This seems to be where the conflict is coming from in this thread.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Sage

I'm old enough to remember when anything with the name Ruger on it, was considered to be a cheap gun.

When they came out with their original 22 pistol, which somewhat resembled the Luger, many though "Ruger" was just a chintzy play on the name Luger, for example.

Time has proven the nay-sayers wrong, in that regard, but there are still many that consider Rugers to be second-rate, for a variety of reasons.

Anyone else recall the fuss, when the M77 came out, because of Ruger's "Investment Casting" of parts? Many did not comprehend the process, some still refer to them as "cast junk".

To the article: There are many inexpensive alternatives to the most expensive handguns. Any handgun that is reliable, is generally "good enough" for the purpose of self defense.

And yes, Ayoob is very fond of himself and his opinions and always has been. Know some folks that have met and talked with him and while they expressed some appreciation of his "work", they also noted that he ain't too bashful about self promotion.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I will take my "cheap" Rugers any day of the week. The Blackhawks will last longer than any Colt or S&W.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM

After so thought on this Ayoob used used alot of words to get to make his point and to me it may just seem like common sense. I would assume the 99% of new hand guns regardless of brand would work in a defense situation.

So I guess I had different expectations of what the artical would touch on. Oh well.

Lifes2Fun didnt want to debate just my thoughts on it. Ayoob could probably tell some stories around the campfire im sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page