Old Core-Lokt round nose 30-06 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Old Core-Lokt round nose 30-06

Hey all, I wanted to ask who out there has used the 180 grain round nose offering from Remington? I got really good accuracy out of them several years back, but never ended up hunting with them. I want to zero an 80's M700 ADL with them and then want to take them to Maine and then use in PA rifle season. Any experience with them? They've received fantastic reviews and I'm sure will handle anything I face in the woods. Thanks.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity"
-Edgar Allan Poe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 08:29 AM
The Man

Great bullets. My friends and I have used them for many years in PA and ME. They work!

I moved on to other bullets and calibers but three of my friends will be hunting with them again this year.

BTW I have never heard a complaint about them, probably because they are reliable.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 09:18 AM
Sage

They were the "go to" loads going back decades ago, for several people I know who regularly hunted deer with Remington pumps in 30-06.

My huntin' bud and I both reloaded and worked up our own loads for several cartridges, beginning in the 70s. We went years having good luck with our own loads and neither of us killed a deer with a factory round for some time.

When Remington discontinued the M760 and introduced the M7600, I bought a M760ADL in 30-06 at a close out price. My buddy picked on me about that, but when they reintroduced the "carbine" model in the M7600 a few years later, he got one in Ought Six on a whim.

That doe season he thumped a big doe with it behind camp, using the 200gr RN Core Lokt factory load and was impressed with the result. If he mentioned not having taken a deer in years with factory ammo, I'd remind him about that doe.

"Well, that round works as advertised", was his usual response.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 10:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

I bought 1 box of the 308 round and used them for a few years in heavy laurel, took a few deer. Decent round in my opinion. I just prefer the pointed soft points for my gun.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 07:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Our camp used them in the 80's and 90's but we had issues with deer running quite a distance after being hit even with a double lung shot. We had some run 100 to 200 yards even with a good blood trail to follow. They were phased out of our camp as soon as the Hornady Light Magnums came out, the SSTs have worked for us far better than the old green boxes ever did.

I only killed one deer with them, the first shot hit double lung while running but it didn't flinch so I thought I missed and shot again. Second one hit it in the neck and dropped it, that was the last time I even shot them for any other than cheap plinking ammo.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 08:10 PM

Well PH I killed one in Maine last year with that round. 239 dressed, nice 8 pointer, 1 shot broadside where it counts, no tracking job. Also shot my farthest deer with same gun and bullet in a field several years ago, about 225 yards, did track that one a short distance. Load up and hope you see one! Oh BTW, 18 inch barrel on that rem pump..
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 08:17 PM

Everybody in my family has a 760 in 30-06 and we have shot the 180 gr round nose for nearly 50 years, many a deer have fell to this round.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 07:08 AM

In the 60's/70's....tons and tons of deer were harvested with them from old 760 pumps guns in 30/06...308...300's of various types...not fancy but very effective..
Jack likes this.

Last edited by 6-DASHER; 09-24-2017 at 07:10 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:20 AM
Part of the Community

Dad has a 308 only uses the round noses. Swears by them and I have to buy them when I see them for him. Many deer and coyotes have fallen from that gun.

Uncle has a 760 in 3006 and again will only use the round nose in 180 gr.
I have a 7600 in 3006 and again only use 180 gr round nose.

I guess I was brought up with the round and stick with it. I did try the pointed soft but did not like them. Just a personal preference. Never had a deer go very far if at all and filled many freezers over the years between the 3 of us. It is a preference thing for anyone and I am just if it works why change.

Get off the couch and do something constructive.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

So apparently everybody uses the green boxes in the 760 and 7600 pump guns primarily in the 30-06, we use the same rifles but our bullet experience differs from most others here. We used to use the 150gr loads so perhaps the 180gr round nose bullets work better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page