If you could have any caliber??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned

If you could have any caliber???

In a related post, I have a voucher to have a Shaw rifle made in my choice of caliber and config. I'm leaning toward a smaller cal(varmint) just so I can play with it more often. Possibly a 220 swift or a 240 weatherby??? I'd like to be able to reach out to about 400y comfortably as that's what I can get off my porch.
Initially I wanted a .30-378 or a Lazzeroni Warbird but they can't do those so I'll try the smaller ones I guess.
They have a list of about 75 calibers they are able to use on thir website. http://www.ershawbarrels.com/sps-the...liber-list.php

I'd love to hear your input on what caliber you'd have a gun made in and why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: If you could have any caliber???

.17 Fireball. Why? I've been wanting one of these for a while now. Seems to be a very interesting caliber and the coyote population around here needs thinned.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

6mm br. they are great shooters and little recoil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:56 PM

Like to be in your shoes!! I shoot a .220swift and it is my chuck-buster. It HUMS along well. It is a 1-14 twist so 55gr. is about as heavy as it'll take. 400 to 500yds. is IMO askin alot for a 55gr. bt. I can go to 500 and that's about it. As much as I'ed like another swift guy on HPA to post with you should think hard??? Get the right twist for any .224 cal. if you want heavier bullets. Now you can get lots of neat cals. like the 22/6mm, necked down .243's,. I guess maybe I wouldn't want to be in your shoes I'ed change my mind every day. Sit with a reloadin book and ware out the pages then decide, .260 rem? If 4-500yds. will be your max 220,22-250, will do you right I'm sure, the 240 weatherby belted case I'ed think that one again. Hopefully you reload? If you go with something from a .243,308,case necked down you might be glad and you'll have plenty of fun. You could always go with a 25.06 that'll get those long range chucks for sure with small bullets, I had one of those too, if I could see em I could hit them. Ran out of glass is why I'ed miss. Anyways think awhile it's a heck of a rifle to put the wrong barrel on, and don't go puttin a cheap pc. of glass on it. 6x20x40or50 would be my choice in the 7-800 buck range. Don't let anyone tell you that their $200.00 pc. is just as good it'll never happen. The best gun in the world is nothin without better glass. Good Luck have fun let us all know what you end up with...later
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

All this talk about twist rates is making my head spin too. I'm not savvy on all the terminology and necessary twists for each bullet size. Please expound on this for the dummy!

I don't reload yet but I have all the stuff, just no place to put it until I get my house built.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I fell for the .300 Win back in 971 and still enjoy it. For a critter gun I think the .22-250 is hard to beat.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 PM
The Man

The 224 TTH looks like it could be an interesting varmint round............in a 1:8 twist barrel, and a slow burning powder they claim it shoots 85-90 grain bullets at 3500-3600 fps............which is pretty good.........its just a 6mm necked down to .224 its nothing new really, just a revived wildcat.....

The twist rate of the barrel generally determines the weights of bullet that will shoot the most accurate out of the gun.....

Generally the slower the twist, the better it is for lighter bullets.....

1:12 is slower than 1:8

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

6mm rem or the imp 1-10 or 1-12 twist 87gr vmax and RL 19 is all you need.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I got three cartridges I'd like to add to the safe. First 17 fireball, 6.5x284 I already have a swede and a 50 BMG. I almost bought the 50 last year. I think this year is the year.

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:33 AM

22tth with fast twist to shoot the heavy long 22 cal bulets, in texas they shoot deer with good effects too.

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page