American Gunsmithing Institute? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

American Gunsmithing Institute?

I was wondering if anybody on here has any direct experience with AGIs products?specifically their professional gunsmithing courses,or if they know anybody that has taken any courses from them?I am interested in their course but am hesitant to commit up to $5,000 for a course.Any help is appreciated thanks

Patience is Wisdom and Vice Versa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:34 PM

Re: American Gunsmithing Institute?

I think the videos are good and will get you in the right direction, and very detailed but....

I think hands-on is the only way to truely learn the art.

I worked with a guy that went through most of the videos, but still wouldnt let him touch any of my guns.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Thank You.I was planning on purchasing my own "broken" but fixable guns and working on them before i jumped into the trade i also know of at least 2 respectable gunsmiths around me that once i have the knowledge base i was going to seek some kind of employment with them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

read this:
http://howdoibecomea.com/how-do-i-become-a-gunsmith

I would suggest you forget the gunsmith videos and take hands on courses in machining at a trade school and go see your local gunsmiths and volunteer your time to them in trade for knowledge.

If nothing else you'll have become a machinist and a good machinist should do well at hobby gunsmithing.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I don't have to time unfortunately to go to a "school" and machining may help in the gunsmithing field but it's not going to teach me proper assembly and disassembly procedures and how to diagnose certain problems,but thank you for the information I will keep it in mind

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good luck in your endeavor.

Maybe you should talk to a gunsmith first and foremost. They should know the path that will lead you to where you want to be.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

I will have to do that the 5g for the AGI is a steep investment to just jump into.Maybe i'll be able to get an apprenticeship

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by skookhunter17954
I don't have to time unfortunately to go to a "school" and machining may help in the gunsmithing field but it's not going to teach me proper assembly and disassembly procedures and how to diagnose certain problems,but thank you for the information I will keep it in mind
Machining is the foundation of gunsmithing. If you can't machine you are not a gunsmith.

If your interested in learning proper assembly and dis-assembly procedures, save your time and money and invest in a book on exploded guns. All of this as well as diagnosing gun problems is simply something mechanical intuition can get you and is not the mark of any gunsmith. If you don't have this up front, its probably best you stay away from gunsmithing.

When my dad went through gunsmith school, diagnosing gun problems and dis-assembly were not even a part of the curriculum. The first 6 weeks were nothing but machine work and learning to use a file properly. The gunsmith school even recommended that every student take a machining class prior to applying. Each skill set afterwards built upon the previous skill set, with bluing, stock work and custom alteration to follow.

The most often used tools in my dad's shop are the mallet, file, lathe, vertical mill. In order to do a lot of assembly and dis-assembly, you need specialized tools that are not sold but have to be made on a mill or lathe.

Sorry if I sound a little harsh, but I've seen far too many guns come into the shop that were previously worked on by parts changers and so called gunsmiths. Its hard watching grown men's hearts break when you tell them that their gunsmith buddy ruined their gun.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

I try not to take anything harshly I asked for people opinions and I'm getting them.My dad always taught me that "if you dont want a question answered honestly don't ask it!"I will give more thought into a machining course.I do have a local vo-tech i maybe able to take machining classes at for probably not to much money.I do realize in many situations that you need to make parts because you can't buy them.But I also believe if you don't know how it works you can't reallt fix it and that's where my basis is that a machining course won't really teach you how many of the different firearms work

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

After thinking about what you said i realized that the AGI video i got said you should have at the very least fredon tool or something like that its like a high powered dremel tool with a flexible drive shaft.So with that being said I'm starting to understand what the 2 of you are saying about having some kind of machining back ground.The AGI video is just an introductory video i haven't signed up for anything yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page