Remington 700 trigger - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Remington 700 trigger

I recently picked up a used Remington 700 BDL in 25-06. Gun shows a few minor dings in the stock and the metal is spotless. At the store I did the average check of the gun before deciding if I would buy it or not; crown was undamaged, locking lugs clean, bore looked spotless, action screws looked like they had never been removed, bold cycled smoothly, safety functioned, trigger was heavy but functioned. When I got home with the gun I cycled the bolt as fast and hard as I can which caused the firing pin to drop (fire) randomly. I removed the action from the stock and to check the trigger adjustment screws to see if the might have been tampered with, but they all looked to still be factory sealed. I checked to stock and trigger guard for possible evidence that the trigger was rubbing on something causing it to hang up randomly, but everything looked ok. So I removed the pins that hold the trigger in the action and removed the trigger assembly. The sear was so gummed up that it would not fall out of the trigger assembly. I thoroughly cleaned the trigger assembly, bolt, and action, which cured the problem.

It would not surprise me if many of the issues that people have had with their Remington triggers is caused by build up of dirt in the trigger assembly. On the outside this gun looked clean and well maintained, yet one of the most critical areas shown lack of proper maintenance/cleaning.

Good luck, Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1255.jpg (671.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1254.jpg (945.2 KB, 23 views)
bigguy54 and outofstater like this.

Last edited by Tony300wby; 09-05-2017 at 08:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 10:17 PM

I cleaned up an older 700BDL in 308 awhile back that had been sprayed down with WD40 many years ago.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Before hunting in the arctic you can't have any lube or grunge on your trigger or bolt. I soak them in kerosene, scrub a little, and blow them dry. You might want to take the bolt apart and check the spring and firing pin.
bigguy54 likes this.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 10:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Lighter fluid is the ticket. It's another reason for a bore guide as it'll keep your cleaning residue from dripping down in the trigger housing. Where you able to adjust the trigger when you reinstalled it?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 07:30 PM

Lightbulb

I have always used brake cleaning fluid,that cleans all of the gunk...

Hunt Safe
Jack
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:22 PM

Yup, years and years of oil and junk are bad news. My dad has an old nazi marked mauser pistol that he was having problems with a while back. I figured out how to take it apart, which was no easy task, and it was all gummed up inside. Cleaned it out and works like a charm. Kerosene works well IMO. Gunsmith I used to work with cleaned everything metal in a parts washer with kerosene.
bigguy54 likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 05:56 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby View Post
I recently picked up a used Remington 700 BDL in 25-06. Gun shows a few minor dings in the stock and the metal is spotless. At the store I did the average check of the gun before deciding if I would buy it or not; crown was undamaged, locking lugs clean, bore looked spotless, action screws looked like they had never been removed, bold cycled smoothly, safety functioned, trigger was heavy but functioned. When I got home with the gun I cycled the bolt as fast and hard as I can which caused the firing pin to drop (fire) randomly. I removed the action from the stock and to check the trigger adjustment screws to see if the might have been tampered with, but they all looked to still be factory sealed. I checked to stock and trigger guard for possible evidence that the trigger was rubbing on something causing it to hang up randomly, but everything looked ok. So I removed the pins that hold the trigger in the action and removed the trigger assembly. The sear was so gummed up that it would not fall out of the trigger assembly. I thoroughly cleaned the trigger assembly, bolt, and action, which cured the problem.

It would not surprise me if many of the issues that people have had with their Remington triggers is caused by build up of dirt in the trigger assembly. On the outside this gun looked clean and well maintained, yet one of the most critical areas shown lack of proper maintenance/cleaning.

Good luck, Tony

Tony, you could not of hit it any more as you mentioned. I thought all along on the so called issues was all Bull. The only action I won and several with no issues but I know how to properly clean and care for a gun.. Excellent post!!
bigguy54 likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

outofstater,

The thing that intrigues me about the 700 trigger issues is the fact that NO one has been able to consistently duplicate the problem, at least no one that I have read about while researching the issue.

If there truly is a design flaw, it should be easy to duplicate under controlled conditions. Like if they were able to get a certain part to wear after a controlled number of cycles. Or a certain lubricant would allow a component to move prematurely. Yet all I have ever read was random incidents.

Even after having the issue with this 25-06. Once I diagnosed the problem and corrected it I am 100% confident that this Remington 700 is as safe as any other firearm that I own.

I also have to wonder if the reason the previous owner got rid of it was because they also experienced the premature firing and were not capable of fixing it? Whatever the reason; I am happy I got it. A Remington 700 BDL in 25-06 has always been on my wish list, and the price was good on this one. Plus it shoots very good!

Good luck, Tony
bigguy54 and outofstater like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby View Post
outofstater,

The thing that intrigues me about the 700 trigger issues is the fact that NO one has been able to consistently duplicate the problem, at least no one that I have read about while researching the issue.

If there truly is a design flaw, it should be easy to duplicate under controlled conditions. Like if they were able to get a certain part to wear after a controlled number of cycles. Or a certain lubricant would allow a component to move prematurely. Yet all I have ever read was random incidents.

Even after having the issue with this 25-06. Once I diagnosed the problem and corrected it I am 100% confident that this Remington 700 is as safe as any other firearm that I own.

I also have to wonder if the reason the previous owner got rid of it was because they also experienced the premature firing and were not capable of fixing it? Whatever the reason; I am happy I got it. A Remington 700 BDL in 25-06 has always been on my wish list, and the price was good on this one. Plus it shoots very good!

Good luck, Tony
A court has decided that there is something to the trigger problems and Remington has replaced triggers.....has to be something to it it would seem. Even a sticky note on this very forum.
1straightshot likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:42 PM
The Man

Does a court always decide correct? A few years ago my daughter was in her final year of law school. They had a mock trial that was actually based on a real situation at some place and time unknown. Part of the case dealt whether this guy committed suicide or he killed himself by accident cleaning his gun. It was really meaning the difference of whether or not a large life ins policy was going to be paid, since suicide does not pay. One point was the trigger was faulty that day in the woods and it was not a model 700 a shotgun actually. Good ole dad here missed the first Sat. of firearm deer season that year to spend the day in Baltimore helping out baby girl. I was considered an expert witness on firearms and was able to testify about a trigger function. First I got to explain the part where you stick your finger is the shoe and not the trigger. Also of how delicate a trigger was with small springs comparing it to like working on a watch. Also there are 2 kinds of people working on a trigger: people that know what they are doing and plain idiots.
I feel that is the case with the 700, plain idiots using, adjusting and cleaning. Not to many people has shot as many rounds as myself from a 700 and have never had an issue.
Tony, you hit a home run with that 25-06, a very fine Pa. woods deer caliber. Best of luck to you!
bigguy54 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page