Your thoughts> - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Your thoughts>

I'm in the market for a single shot centerfire for treestand hunting. I really like the looks of the Ruger No. 1-RSI....something about that full length stock. It also comes in 7x57 which is a neat caliber and I like that kind of oddball stuff. I've been trying to search for other single shots but I'm not finding much out there along the lines of No. 1. I don't really care for the T/C or other break action designs. Do any of you guys have any input about something similar to the Ruger falling block? I don't have anything against the Ruger, just want to make sure I explore all my options.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:25 PM
The Man

Re: Your thoughts>

Jason, Check out the Browning High wall and Low Wall. Pretty standard caliber offerings but they did make the Low in .260?

I have a High in 30-06 and its an absolute tack driver and very balanced. Great pc of wood, nice checkering and a very nice trigger. Fit and finish are outstanding as well.

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Do they still make them? I looked for them, but they're not on their site....at least I can't find them. Winchester has an 1885 HW listed....45-70 and 405 Win. I have to admit I'm a little excited about a 405 Win!

In all honesty, I'm torn between the single shot rifle or a hunting handgun. The way I've been hunting lately I could almost get away with carrying my bow in rifle season!

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:35 PM
The Man

No Browning quit a few years back but you can still find some here and there. Winchester is the only one still producing a 1885.

Check out GB, there are a few Browning Highs and a couple of Lows on there now

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

I was checking that out when I came across Uberti stuff too. Which lead me to their site....which now has me looking at rolling blocks now too!

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

I just stumble across exactly what I want....I'd just need to mortgage my house or sell my first born to get it!

Dakota Arms makes a real purdy falling block!

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:55 PM

Sharps, Sharps, Sharps... I love mine, Pedersoli 45-70 32 in barrel, tang sight, front globe. Looks good and shoots better...

Although, I am wishing and watching for an 1885 High Wall and gonna put a 3/4" scope on it.

Dakota's are nice and well as the C.Sharps 1885's but darn sure expensive.

last years adventure
https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...95#Post2022695
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

A Ruger in a 7X57 would be a fantastic rifle. Look for one of the Ruger Boddington Special's. Those are some beautiful rifles, and come in the 7X57. I have been searching half-heartedly for one myself.

The Number One makes a fantastic hunting rifle. They handle very well, and are more than accurate enough for hunting.

I also like the 1885's. I have several of those. I have a preference for the 1885 over the Ruger. I like the lighter Low Wall for weight and carrying.

But then I am also partial to the Encore's!! Tom.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

I also like the Sharp's rifle. But they are pretty heavy to hunt with every day. You will need some padding for your strap. Tom.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:29 AM
The Man

I wouldn't limit myself to a single shot for tree stand hunting. I've got nothing against single shots, but I can't see spending a pile of cash to buy a gun that does the same thing for more than what something else costs. Unless you just want one. I can't argue with that at all.

If things are up close I would give a handgun a try. I love handgun hunting. I got to admit that if I had to live off what I got hunting with a handgun I would be a lot thinner than I am right now.

For most beginers I would recommend a 357 or a 44 for deer hunting. Much further than 30-40 yards you need to be really good. Personally I can do great out to 50 yards with a good rest. Off hand I need to cut that to about 30 (I have better success with my bow). With an optic sight you may be able to stretch those distances a bit. I don't personally care for them.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page