Worst shooting gun fixes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jimsdad

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Worst shooting gun fixes

Not wanting to hijack the thread Worst Shooting Gun Ever I thought to start an annex to it focused on bad shooting guns that were somehow fixed. Here's mine.

Had, and still have, a sporterized P14 (Remington receiver) that my dad bought for me in about 1964 for $55. I did not know much about firearms then, sometimes I think I know even less now, but I did know that it was heavy as heck, kicked like a kangaroo and that I loved it. Also, it was very inaccurate and since I belonged to a local NRA sponsored rifle team that shot on an indoor rifle range in the high school basement I knew what a dirty bore looked like and the instructors made sure that among other things we were well schooled in rifle maintenance. Looking down that .30 bore was like looking through a cast iron sewer pipe, it was so rough, and in desperation I took some 0 steel wool wrapped it around a bronze brush and after soaking it in thread cutting oil and Hoppes #9 scrubbed the heck out of it. The black gunk that came out of that tube was in tiny sheets and I got enough green copper to make a brand new 1967 penny. From that time on, literally in 1967, until yesterday when I fired a box of reloads as I do every month or so, that rifle prints groups of about 1" at 100 yards off the bench. In fact, yesterday I fired the last of the hand loads I made in about 1965 (I had recently discovered them in an archaeological dig in the attic) using a Lee Loader; they all worked just fine. Thanks dad.
willyp likes this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My first 03 was like that. I used a abrasive cleaner that came in a grey squeeze bottle. I dont remember what it was, but it had abrasives in it.May have been a early JB product. It turned a 30 cal that looked like a 257 into my turkey shoot rifle.

For most others, it has been reloading. My #1 shoots factory ammo into a 5 inch pattern, but is a true 1/2inch rifle with reloads.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 12:46 PM
The Man

Mostly, I have fixed my bad shooters in one of two ways................

Sell

Trade

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 PM

had my dads 760 in 30-06 go "crazy" 2-3 shots good, then it would go all over the place! didn't matter what ammo you used. scope was a leupold 4x. blamed the scope, sent it back. it came back with a clean bill of health. still shot all over. looked at the scope mounts, them 'ol see thru's turned out to be cracked. replaced them and all is well !! no more see thru's in this house!!

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 11:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Had a Remington 700 in 7mm that wouldn't group under 2", checked and sure enough it wasn't free floated. My brother sanded down the barrel channel and it now shoots around an inch.

Same problem with a 7600 in .35 Whelen, shot a 3" group at 50 yards, took the pump off and it would put 3 touching, sanded it down and now it shoots great.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 04:24 AM
The Man

New match grade barrel replacement fixes most problems. However, I have had some dang good shooting factory rifles. Other fixes to friends rifles has been: barrel cleaning, bad scopes, loose stock screws, loose scope rings screws, hand loads, new person squeezing the trigger.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Banned

When I bought my No.5 Enfield, it had a pretty cruddy bore. I cleaned it, shot it, and over the years its become a decent, although not super accurate weapon. It still does have a couple minor pits in the bore from being neglected long ago. However, when I get the urge to hunt with a milsurp, its my go to gun.Light weight, short barrel, open iron sights. A good all around short range deer gun.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a 44 mag lever action, tried everything, No good, Read an article about lapping the crown, Did that now it is fine.

Good Luck, Stant
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 07:45 PM

over the years the few rifles that did not shoot well/group had the pressure point in the stock removed then bedded & free float.
1 rifle after bedding & free float needed a slight pressure point re-installed at the very end of the barrel channel.

NRA life member
DU member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page