I have a plan! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

I have a plan!

I am retiring next year. I have a plan. Going out west to hunt elk, mule deer, antelope, coyote and prarie dogs.

My plan is to hunt everything with my .270.

I am going to put together an antelope load, which is going to be 110 gr. Barnes TTSX's. I am going to sight in my .270 for that load. Next, I am going to work up different loads for the other hunts, BUT, instead of changing my zero each time, I am going to vary the charge or the powder to see if I can realistically shoot ideal bullets at each animal without using a second gun or adjusting my scope.

Can it be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:41 AM

Re: I have a plan!

Possibly, at moderate ranges, but I bet it would be alot easier to just adjust your scope!

Alrighty then!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Can it be done?
Probably, but you will likely be making sacrifices/compromises that aren't really necessary, in most cases.

I have one rifle that will shoot two loads intended for different purposes, to the near-identical zero at 100 yards.

It's a 22-250 that's normally used for varmints, with 55gr Btip loads. By some experimentation (and luck), it will also shoot the 60gr Nosler Partition within a quarter inch of the zero for the Btips.

So it can be used for both 'chucks and deer, without major scope adjustments.

Personally, I would concentrate on one load for big game and another for 'yotes and p-dogs. The big game load for elk/mulies might be a tad "overkill" for antelopes, but it will work.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:58 AM

It's be less of a pain to have one QD mount and a couple of scopes matched to the different loads.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A suggestion. If you would use a 130 gr. Nosler Partition you wouldn't be compromising on anything in regard to big game hunted (prairie dogs the exception) and would be set to go without all the trouble of different loads. KISS comes to mind.

Muab

"There is no District 12"
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muab Dib
A suggestion. If you would use a 130 gr. Nosler Partition you wouldn't be compromising on anything in regard to big game hunted (prairie dogs the exception) and would be set to go without all the trouble of different loads. KISS comes to mind.

Muab
+1 Why make it any more difficult than it need be?

Do you own a lighter caliber varmint rifle? I'd suggest taking it as well. Shooting a couple hundred rounds of 270 in a day at prairie dogs sounds to me as very expensive, not much fun, and hard on a good big game rifle.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Another thing. One of the main objectives of reloading for alot of us is to obtain the best accuracy with a certain bullet.

You undoubtably will sacrifice accuracy with at least one or more of your loads if you try this. You might get lucky and get two loads that will shoot under and inch and to the same point of impact, but I'd be suprised and willing to buy your rifle if it does what you are going to try. 3 or 4 loads all under an inch and the same impact point. I would definately buy that rifle. An inch is my own standard. If yours is 2 or 3 inches you might be able to achieve your objective.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Banned

The 110 TTSX will take all those animals he mentioned. Even the elk.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

If your goal is to keep all your shots under 300 yards then you might be able to make it work. IF shooting past 30 yards then I doubt if you can get it to work.

Everything there sounds OK until you added prarie dogs. That is the real kicker. Your cartrdige choice is way to large for that target. You could easily burn that rifle up on a dogtown. And accuracty needed for PD's is considerably different than accuracy need for all the other big game you mentioned.

And I would not want to pay th bill for a PD hunt with Barnes bullets. Tom.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 PM
The Man

I would buy a cheap 223 or a 22-250 to hunt the dogs. A 223 would be my choice. A case of ammo that shoots decent enough, and is relatively cheap would be a lot of fun. Once you get home you can choose to sell it. Would be a lot better off money wise than shooting that 270 all day.

Like someone else said. Pick a good bullet that will work for everything but the dogs and shoots well.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page