Rifle Range destruction! WHY ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Rifle Range destruction! WHY ?

I am an older person from back when you were taught that when you got something you took care of it and it lasted you?
I belong to 3 different rifle ranges! 2 of them have people who come to them and have to shoot things to pieces !
They have the frames built of 4x4 or 6x6s.
why do people have to take and just keep shooting the uprights till they fall over ? Then you have no where to mount targets to a backing ?
I am not to be pointing a finger at any one but you go there one day and shoot and then go back a couple of days later and the post are shot in pieces and laying on the ground ! On the ground all around are piles of 223 cases?
So whom could be doing this? For what reason?
The clubs are putting in a hidden camera systems to find out who is doing this.
What is bad is it has to be a member to get to use the ranges !

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 08:00 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Same thing happens at my range. People with semi autos that just blast away. We have to redo our stands almost every month. Its not much fun when you want to shoot and cant because the backstop is torn up.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 08:29 AM

Every gun club I have belong to over yeas has this same issue. Not saying it's right or should be overlooked but the number of instances when the culprits were actually caught and brought before the board of directors are few. In every case they lost their memberships. One club actually faced the uprights with angled steel plates and that worked.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 08:33 AM

I agree, this is a problem at virtually every club and range at one point or another. Sometimes it's the result of 1 or 2 disrespectful individuals and sometimes I think it's just cumulative member use.

Recently at my club I was shooting and a older man, probably in his 70's showed up with two younger boys probably 14-15ish(probably grandchildren). I knew it was going to be bad when one of the kids jumped out of the car with a cigarette in his mouth and shotgun in hand, ran up to the firing line and fired a round from the hip. After a minute or two I stopped firing and asked them if they needed to go down range to hang targets, "no" they said. So over the next 20 mins or so that I was there I watched all 3 of them(the older man included) just shoot/spray randomly at whatever they were aiming at downrange.

That being said I am by no means lumping all shooters of semi-auto rifles or handguns into the same group or bashing them. I myself own an AR-15, a Ruger 10/22, and several semi-auto handguns and I like to think that I shoot them responsibly.
bohunr and stinkbait like this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Every range I have ever belonged too has issues with posts getting shot, its far from anything new. One place used 4x8 sheets of plywood hung on the 4x4 posts, and they would paint and mark the area of plywood were targets should NOT be hung. That eliminated the problem of people purposely hanging a target were the bullet would hit a upright or cross member. That did help, but did not eliminate the problem.

willy,

If the range is putting in hidden cameras to try and catch people. It would probably be a good idea not to announce it on the www for everyone to read.

Good luck, Tony
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 10:06 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

One range I go to has this problem....on the 10, 15, and 25 yard stops. Not on the 50 or 100.

The other I go to has a handgun "pit", then a 25/50 pistol range and rifle sight-in, and a 100/200/300 rifle range.

ZERO issues.

The Call of Duty wanna-be crowd goes to the "pit". This is a big hill scooped out, some hanging bowling pins are there, but you can set up "bouncer targets" or a variety of other stuff, and people actually do tend to keep it from being a complete dump with target bits and such...most (not all) is picked up.

Seems like giving the "I just wanna make it go bang a lot" crowd a place to do that has really protected the rest of the facilities.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
One range I go to has this problem....on the 10, 15, and 25 yard stops. Not on the 50 or 100.

The other I go to has a handgun "pit", then a 25/50 pistol range and rifle sight-in, and a 100/200/300 rifle range.

ZERO issues.

The Call of Duty wanna-be crowd goes to the "pit". This is a big hill scooped out, some hanging bowling pins are there, but you can set up "bouncer targets" or a variety of other stuff, and people actually do tend to keep it from being a complete dump with target bits and such...most (not all) is picked up.

Seems like giving the "I just wanna make it go bang a lot" crowd a place to do that has really protected the rest of the facilities.
You're right, give people a space to do that is helpful. I belong to a club with several "pits" like you mentioned that are smaller, maybe 25-30yards long and you can go in there and shoot a semi rifle, handguns, shotguns, black powder, basically anything within reason. It's funny though because people still complain that there is "never any target stands"....well yeah because you shot them all up! Most people have resorted to bringing their own target stands which ads a whole new level of personal responsibility! hahaha
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 12:30 PM

Interesting, I have been spending a lot more time at the range this summer and thought the same thing. Granted, the guy that takes care of the place is always complaining about replacing the "hanging wood"(plywood). But that's the nature of things. It's the frames that need attention. Not to mention the holes in roof over the benches.

I saw somewhere about a club looking for members. One of the criteria of membership was that you take a range safety course. Once that was completed you got your card and combination to the locks. That sounded like a good idea to me, then you can hammer into these idiots that if they start destroying things they get a swift boot in the rear as they leave.

Call of Duty wanna-be's... I like that one. Tell them to come on over and spend some range time with me. That AR gets to shoot only at the 300yrd backstop, and keep them in the baseball sized orange ring.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 12:43 PM

There is really no stopping ignorance and willful destruction at any range that I have seen. I belong to two different clubs in two different areas of the state. 1 has a average yearly fee and virtually no restrictions on membership. The 2nd club has a high yearly fee, must have an active member sponsor you to join, must be voted in, range safety and orientation classes, 1yr probation period, etc... and the same exact crap goes on at both ranges. People attend the safety class/orientation and it goes in one ear and out the other, after a year or two no one remembers anything that was taught. People moan and complain about ranges instituting a 3round limit on mags and this is probably the reason why. Even then I dont know if that rule helps because I sometimes go to the local gamelands range and target holders there are often shot up also.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM

My neighbors and I made a nice range at our own time and expense for pistols, and 4 lanes out to 300 yards range and we allow the other locals to use it.
It appears that some think those big old tube TVs make great targets and we end up cleaning up after slobs 3 or 4 times a year.
Its amazing how little respect people show for other peoples things.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page