To inherit pistol- what is needed? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

To inherit pistol- what is needed?

So my Uncle just informed me that he will be putting me in his will so I get his .40 Glock when he meets his maker.

I'm trying to find out what I need to do to legally transfer ownership. Can I just take a copy of the Will to an FFL Dealer with the pistol and have it transferred into my name?

Or do I need to do it another way?

He did stipulate that I could NOT have it until he was gone, so I have cannot do anything until that happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:59 PM

I'm not an expert but I think you take the pistol, along with the executor of the estate, to an FFL. The executor fills out paperwork as the seller.
dragman likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 03:05 PM
The Man

I'm curious to know what the official answer is on this. I don't know for sure, but I don't think there's any paperwork for the seller to fill out in a private sale. I don't think you need to do anything except take the firearm to an FFL and fill out the buyer's form. I've done that before, but maybe the rules have changed. I suppose it can make a difference who the relative is. Maybe it's different for father to son or brother to brother than it is for uncle to nephew or unrelated people.

Steve.

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks guys. I'm going to stop at a gunshop on the way home today to find out for sure what needs to be done. Just thought maybe there would be someone on here who is an FFL dealer.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 07:06 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

For parent to child, spouse to spouse, grandparent to grandchild, no paperwork is needed at all.

In this case, the handgun would have to be taken to an FFL who does the requisite paperwork. It is necessary for this transfer.
dragman and Marcus99 like this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 PM

yeah, what tdd said.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter View Post
I'm curious to know what the official answer is on this. I don't know for sure, but I don't think there's any paperwork for the seller to fill out in a private sale. I don't think you need to do anything except take the firearm to an FFL and fill out the buyer's form. I've done that before, but maybe the rules have changed. I suppose it can make a difference who the relative is. Maybe it's different for father to son or brother to brother than it is for uncle to nephew or unrelated people.

Steve.
In PA the private transfer of handguns is required to go through an FFL(not needed for long guns). There is a small section of the PA handgun paperwork that must be filled out by the seller. I believe that the seller must also show ID, but no background check is run on the seller. I worked at a gun shop some years ago and this would occasionally come up, but it was so infrequent that it's hard to remember what the exact process is. As I said, I believe, in the case of inherited firearms the executor of the estate acts as the seller in this situation.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:59 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Easy way to know...

Go to a reputable shop for your transfer. Do that now.

Ask them what they need you to do to accomplish the transfer. Take notes.

Whenever the time comes, follow the process they gave you.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:32 PM

You will need a copy of the death Cer and a copy of the will. Who ever is in charge of his belongings after he passes will get you a copy.
Take them both along with the gun to a dealer. they will transfer it to your name they have to keep a copy of the will and death cert with your paper work cause the seller has passed.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:55 PM

Asking now is futile.The laws may change anytime with the speed at which government works.Lol.His will might change as well,if he actually pays (money involved) to actually add you for that pistol.So I would slow down in my excitement.If he is married your aunt might not be keen on him giving away stuff she can sell to pay expenses upon his death.When it is in hand then worry about it.Out of curiosity how old are you and your uncle?

Bob Seger,till it shines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page